Stairway Bull Nose - Floating Floor vs Nail Down?

KerryLFebruary 5, 2013

Hello,

We are renovating a room on a slab (6" to 30" below grade) and want to do hardwood flooring. We're thinking an engineered product will be best, but we aren't sure whether to do a snap-together floating floor or a nail-down floor. We'd definitely save some cash doing the floating floor, because we wouldn't have to screw plywood to the slab, but we aren't sure how to handle a stairway entrance in the middle of the room.

The stairwell leading to the basement is in the room we're renovating (there is notch cut out of the slab, maybe 6' into the room and 3' wide). We'll have to do some kind of bull nose there. I've seen pictures of bull nosing that would snap into a floating floor, but would it snap in on all three sides of the stairwell? Will it hold up? I think this issue would be easier to solve with the screwed-down plywood method, but if anyone has experience with floating floors and bull nosing at a stairwell, we'd love to here it!

Thanks!

-Kerry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jfcwood

Generally floating floors have moldings that fasten to the subfloor and lip over the edge of the floor leaving expansion space. There's no way they could snap on to the flooring since you'd have to meet with full length and width boards. Another option is to glue something down around the perimeter of the stair opening in the same thickness as the foam underlayment and glue down nosing and the flooring but there would be a risk that the floor could buckle due to lack of expansion space.

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 3:46PM
More Discussions
Engineered hardwood floor help needed
We are going to be selling our home and currently are...
cinnamon01
Reviews : Brazilian direct - http://www.brazilianhardwood.com/ -
Did any one purchase solid hardwood from Brazilian...
luxman
EZ Lay Vinyl Plank Reviews?
We are looking at installing the Tiramisu EZ Lay Vinyl...
kyorkston
trying to figure out vinyl vs wood laminate Help !
I am new to using anything other than real wood......
roksee
LVP plank and tile flooring pulling apart at seams.
We installed a LVP this spring into our new addition....
moledro
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™