Staining/Painting Parawood?

francienolanMarch 2, 2011

Hi, I'm new in these parts, I can't believe the wealth of information I've found here!

I want a square coffee table, but I want it cheap. I found one at CSN stores, but it's made of unfinished parawood (rubber wood). After googling myself silly, I'm not sure if this can be successfully finished, either with stain or paint.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
francienolan

Forgot to add: This table would be subject to a lot of use...feet propped on it, etc.

Bookmark   March 2, 2011 at 10:38AM
bobismyuncle

A lot of low-end furniture is made of parawood, aka rubberwood, aka malaysian oak (!?!) It's heavy and dense.

I've refinished a couple of pieces of it, but can't remember much of the details, so it must have been not a problem.

If you are unsure of how things will work try out a few candidates on the bottom of the table top before committing to your project.

Bookmark   March 2, 2011 at 10:37PM
francienolan

Good idea, why hadn't I thought of that? I have a DR table, chairs, and china cabinet I was told was Brazilian Mahogany that ended up being parawood. I repainted it, but thought the paint would NEVER cure, even after sanding, using great primer and great paint. I'm very happy with the furniture, it is very heavy, but don't know if I want to go through all that again. I'm thinking of spray painting this one. You've encouraged me, thanks so much.

If anyone else has any experience with parawood, I'd appreciate any tips you have.

Bookmark   March 3, 2011 at 9:28PM
rmanbike

Its in the same family as maple but not as light color as american maple, thus called rubberwood because the sap from the tree is used for making rubber/latex etc. One problem is that getting the moisture content down to levels to prevent cracking or joint separation. Its a sub-tropical tree grown/harvested in areas where most dry kilns is just a large brick wood fired oven at best.

Bookmark   March 4, 2011 at 11:45PM
francienolan

Thanks so much for your responses. After reading your advice, then shopping around, I've decided not to buy the parawood table. I found a 3 piece solid wood coffee table/end table set at the Abandoned Goods warehouse for $90! They're round and will have to be distressed to look right in the room, but I'm very flexible when it comes to getting something cheap! LOL

Bookmark   March 8, 2011 at 11:34AM
More Discussions
Furniture help
Hello My boyfriend and I just moved in and we really...
Penny Dimitrakaki
Hancock & Moore older leather chair, maybe H&M sofa,can they be saved?
I have an opportunity to pick up this chair and sofa...
aesanford
Couch for Big and Tall Guy
What suggestions would you all offer on what to look...
happs
casco bay furniture from someone who didnt just join
Hi im looking for reviews on casco bay furniture from...
armstrongarland
Living Room Furniture Recomendations
What brands of living room furniture compare to Durham...
tiffany2009
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™