Antique sofa reupholstering

lorainevcMarch 18, 2010

I have a great 1930s antique sofa and chair, smaller scale, trimmed in wood and with nailhead trim. I am getting ready to have it recovered, but am so confused with fabric. I want a simple fabric (no prints)and am torn between the chenille and microfiber. In a heartbeat, I'd choose the chenille, but the microfiber comes in the goldish tan color I want. My question is would microfiber look silly on an antique piece? I want something durable, spot cleanable, comfortable and longer wearing, all for the right price. It is a very simple sofa, clean lines, no back pillows and a one cushion seat. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
robinkae

Can you post a picture? I know nothing about antiques but as no experts have responded to your post, I will. Wasn't some antique furniture covered in velvet; you might say microfiber resembles it in a fashion. If you are going to actually use the sofa daily, I say cover it with whatever you want. Since it has clean lines, my opinion is microfiber would be fine. What do you experts out there say?

Bookmark   March 20, 2010 at 7:41PM
More Discussions
Quality Outdoor Furniture Brands/Materials?
I am looking to buy an outdoor dining set, chaise loungers...
wendage2
Debating between a drexel or henredon bed
What is better quality? The are both 4 post beds. Just...
shweebies
Furniture help
Hello My boyfriend and I just moved in and we really...
Penny Dimitrakaki
Living Room Furniture Recomendations
What brands of living room furniture compare to Durham...
tiffany2009
Hancock & Moore older leather chair, maybe H&M sofa,can they be saved?
I have an opportunity to pick up this chair and sofa...
aesanford
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™