Victorian fireplace remodel

jblueberryAugust 26, 2008

Hello! Our San Francisco Victorian (circa 1890) has a lovely wood-burning brick fireplace, however, as we are in an earthquake zone, we need to remove the bricks. We also want to change over to a clean-burning fireplace insert. My main concern is the mantle design. I want to stay true to the period. Currently, it is a brick mantle that feels a bit like a French farmhouse. I know pretty much nothing about Victorian mantles, but I found an antique wooden mantle from the same time period that was removed from a mansion in Pacific Heights. It needs some restoring, but it's very much Victoriain - more decorative and delicate with an attached, framed mirror above the mantle. I wonder, would this be... tacky or out of character with the rest of the house? The last thing I want to do is damage the integrity of our Victorian. I would appreciate any advice. I can provide photos.

Thanks!

Julie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
haus_proud

I think cast iron in a satin finish black would blend in nicely with Victorian style. Check the jotul product line on their website. The parts are made in Norway and assembled in Maine. We have their gas direct vent insert that performs beautifully. Very high quality, nice subdued styling. For more suggestions post your questions in the chat room at hearth.com.

Bookmark   August 27, 2008 at 10:51PM
More Discussions
Harman accentra insert wood pellet stove
I'm having a problem with my auger. It won't feed my...
Kyle22
do you recognize this stacked stone?
I would like to install stacked stone and found this...
rosebay
I need opinions on what to do with old fireplace
I have an old fireplace that needs a rehab badly. What...
jbryan21
Converting wood fireplace to gas fireplace
Help, I'm overwhelmed. Any link to a good site that...
nosoccermom
Gas fireplace- fan or no fan?
Looking at a Mendota and a Heat N Glo full view single...
ryebread2111111
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™