Anyone else with an old heatilator unit?

lishaanaAugust 26, 2005

I have an old 1982 heatilator wood burning FP (model FP 36) in the house we moved into a few years ago. There were no instructions left with the unit, so we never used it. It is also very late 70's/early 80's style with a mesh curtain. My initial goal is to replace the mesh screen with glass doors. I called heatilator up and they said they will send me instructions but the unit is obsolete and they do not make any doors for them anymore. I need the doors as I have a baby in the house and in the winter there is some cold air that leaks from it.

Has anyone used doors from other companies(Portland was mentioned by a local dealer)? How have other people updated the look of their heatilator without replacing the entire fireplace?

can you tile over parts that are not vents?

thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
djm253525

I don't know the stove, but tile a bit. Can you tile around the vents and install new vents on top of the tile? It wuld give it a modern look, new tiles and decorative vents.

Bookmark   August 26, 2005 at 8:44PM
leesa49221

I just bought an old heatilator fireplace on Ebay. I repainted it the with black heat resistant paint including the mesh curtains and brass trim including the trim around the glass doors. It looks like a new fireplace! Now for the fun part, Installing it!!!!

Bookmark   September 26, 2007 at 4:28PM
salbwil

I have a unit like yours and just installed a woodburning insert into the heatilator as ours poured cold air in the winter. We're pleased with the way it turned out. We tiled over the old brick and are hoping that the insert will help heat our house this coming winter........installed the "fireplace x 33 elite" insert.
salbwil

Bookmark   September 26, 2007 at 5:02PM
More Discussions
Couple of questions about installing stone veneer
Little background - original lava rock fireplace was...
rosebay
Can woodstove clog a chimney in a month??
We had a Quadrafire 5100 woodburning stove insert installed...
kitasei
direct vent gas fireplace
Hello, I just bought a house and there is a Monessen...
shahgee84
Xtrordinair Fireplace
We were directed to a local shop selling this product....
Lutha
Fireplace Options?
Looking to put a wood burning fireplace in our new...
rmverb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™