Re-sloping shower floor

wildeyesFebruary 11, 2011

I bought a totally-rehabbed home a few months ago with a huge walk-in shower. There is a single drain, at the south end, but the floor peaks in the middle, so half the floor slopes to the drain in the south end, but the floor to the north of the middle slopes to the end where there's no drain, and water thus pools. The builder/seller is going to fix it. His current suggestion is, since the current floor is functioning correctly in terms of water tightness (the assumption is that there's a properly-installed shower pan under the tile and no leakage), to install a new properly-sloped floor on top of the existing tile floor. The existing floor is a pretty mixture of 2 x 2 and some larger tiles, but I don't care if we go with all larger tiles for the new floor. I just want to know, first, if there is any problem with installing a new tile shower floor on top of an existing one. Here's exactly what the builder/seller proposed: "We would use a brush on water proofing membrane just for added sealant. We would slope the tile the appropriate way and bring up the floor drain as needed. We could lay the tile in a variety of designs. The logic is to not disturb an already functioning tile pan." Thoughts???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aliceinwonderland_id

This does not sound like a good idea. Water will always migrate through grout. Failing to have the proper slope UNDER your tile will still result in a pool of water on the end where you currently have a problem.

To find experts, post your question on the bathrooms forum - Bill and Mongo over there really know their stuff. Or you could check out the John Bridge forum to find lots of tile gurus.

Bookmark   February 11, 2011 at 3:08PM
More Discussions
No hardwood warranty from HOM Furniture store - midwest
So after falling in love with Birch engineered floor...
Maryna
Advise with flooring?
Hi, I need some advise with flooring. I have a spare...
galinas
What to use on edging and stairs when stripping of old hardwood floor
We are in the process of stripping and refinishing...
candeelyn
concret floors
can you put linoleum on bare concret floors
marykwiley
Experiences with vinyl flooring
Hello, I was wondering individuals experiences with...
einajr
Sponsored Products
Progress Lighting Recessed Lighting 6 in. White Recessed Drop Opal Shower Trim
$32.94 | Home Depot
Polished Chrome Sleek Shower Faucet Set with Handheld Shower
TheBathOutlet
Coral Nora Shower Curtain
$14.99 | zulily
Solid-colored Loop Twist 100-percent Cotton 20 x 32 Bath Rug
Overstock.com
Black Granite Bathroom stone Sink 27"x16" - TOJI SHADOW
Living'ROC