Need advice on refacing huge stone fireplace

abundantblessingsAugust 14, 2008

Our home has a huge 15' tall rough rock- not stacked stone- fireplace. Not only do we really not like its rustic appearance with large mortar joints, but it is much too large and overwhelming in our modest-sized family room. In a previous home we drywalled over a brick fireplace and installed marble surround and hearth. We'd like to get a similar look here, but the large, chunky rocks unevenly butt against built-in cabinets to either side with very little clearance to open the cabinet doors.

A couple of contractors think the rocks are real and not a facade since similar rocks are on the exterior. Can't afford a huge remodeling job so I thought perhaps a plywood or decorative paneled box could be built in sections and placed over the rocks. Some type of decorative tile surround will be used for appearances and to comply with code.

Any suggestions how best to proceed?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ventupete

You can do it the way you suggest although it may be difficult to attach the plywood (near the firebox opening you can use cement board which meets the code requirements for non-combusitble materials). However, I would suggest that you use mortar, and trowel it on in a sufficient quantity so that it fills up the irregularities and mortar joints and you end up with a reasonably smooth surface. You may have to do it in two coats - first partially filling in the recesses and then a finish coat - the reason is that otherwise a thick coat may sag before it dries. Then you will end up with a surface that is perfect for adhering stone or ceramic tiles to (and it won't stick out into the room as far as a plywood overlay), or even dry wall if you use lead or plastic anchors. This assumes that the existing stone has not been coated with something that will cause the mortar not to stick. If it has, you can use fortified thinset mortar, although it is messier to work with. Hope this helps. Also, since it's 15 feet high you will need a sturdy ladder or even scaffolding (cheap to rent) since the mortar is heavy and you need leverage to apply it.

Bookmark   August 15, 2008 at 8:20PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
abundantblessings

Thanks. I hadn't thought about mortaring it in since the stones are so irregular with some projecting 3+". I'll check into it. The overlay approach seemed easiest -- in theory at least.

Bookmark   August 16, 2008 at 12:01PM
More Discussions
Metal Fireplace Mantel; Distance & Depth
Hi, This is my first posting. I apologize in advance...
hariot
See-through fireplace
Does anyone have any experience with the Lennox Montebello...
aswansonid
Large Fireplace
Hi. I am trying to have my fireplace in my living room...
mt123
Lennox Montebello See Through?
Anyone have some first hand experience with this unit?...
niteshadepromises
Does this old fireplace have options?
Hey everybody! My home was built in 1930 and originally...
Kristin Jennings
Sponsored Products
Char-Broil 68 in. Desert Sand Grill Cover - 2985719
$24.99 | Hayneedle
Ghost Bioethanol Fireplace
FRONTGATE
Gracie Rust Retro Arm Chair
Overstock.com
Napoleon Black Flat Top 3-part Folding Fireplace Screen
Overstock.com
Uptown Lounge Chair
$649.99 | Dot & Bo