pellet stove hearth pad question

mikesjAugust 22, 2007

Hi all,

I've got a Harman P-61 pellet stove. I'm currently remodeling the room the stove is located in. I disconnected the stove and pulled up the hearth pad and the lineoleum underneath the stove is scorched. It's not horrible, but you can definitely tell it got too hot. Since I'm pulling up the lineoleum anyway, I'm not too upset and the subflooring underneath the stove appears to be just fine.

My concern is that since I'm getting new lineoleum installed shortly, what can I do to keep this from happening again. The hearth pad I have is the one I purchased from the dealer- tile with a metal edging, a little more than an inch thick.

Since the stove has a small air gap underneath it, what about sliding a couple of tiles in that space?

Thanks for any input!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
firejumper

Since you're ripping the old lineoleum out have you considered installing a brick, tile or marble hearth directly onto the floor using cement board as your base and just getting rid of the hearth pad? This is what did and I have absolutely no problems and it looks good.

Bookmark   August 23, 2007 at 11:35AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mikesj

firejumper,

I've thought a lot about doing just that, and I'm still considering it. However, I'm in the process of wrapping up a few other projects and I don't know if I'll be able to get it done before I need to use the stove.

Thanks for the input!

Mike

Bookmark   August 23, 2007 at 9:29PM
More Discussions
Gas Fireplace question
We recently bought a second home, and it has a gas...
grapefruit1_ar
Travertine tile reface on fireplace surround & hearth
Help - We have torn down the old fake stone facing...
pennymw
HeatnGlo Mezzo 48 or Napolean Linear LHD50
Please help guide me! We are building a new home and...
supcar1
help please ! saw a picture, how can this be made?
Can anyone help me figure out these dimensions and...
abick2
How can I update this 60s facade?
The home I'm buying was built in 1959 and I don't think...
demeterchaos
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™