Any Amish furniture company recommendations?

polieMarch 30, 2010

I'm in the market for good but not heirloom quality furniture for my new house. I definitely want to buy only furniture made in the USA, especially given our near 10% national unemployment rate. Seems like Amish furniture may fit the bill, but I don't know which are the better Amish furniture companies. Unless there are brick and mortar stores in the NY Catskills, they have to have a good website or at the very least be willing to email detailed photographs of different pieces of furniture. Any recommendations for Amish furniture companies? Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
raee_gw

Try Amishcountryfurnishings.com. It is a local business, yes it is really Amish made product, and the owner is a decent fellow. He used to do custom design too, I think, but I am not sure that is still true. He will ship anywhere in the USA. Good luck, hope his designs are what you are looking for.

Bookmark   March 31, 2010 at 10:35PM
missstella

I bought a bed from Dutch Crafters last year (JMX is the parent company name.) I originally found them from a recommendation on this website. It was a leap of faith buying online, but the furniture was as promised, delivered on time, and very nice. It was well packaged and arrived in excellent condition. I believe JMX represents several Amish furniture makers and craftsmen, so quality may vary by maker, I honestly don't know. The bed I bought was from the "Village Inn" collection. I was looking for a specific look and they were the only ones who had a bed that fit the bill. I looked around a lot before placing my order--partly because I was afraid of never having seen their furniture in person. I looked for bad press on JMX and Dutch Crafters and honestly couldn't find any. Finally, I decided I wanted the bed enough to take the risk.

Also, around the same timeframe, I have purchased furniture from Tom Seely (look online for Gat Creek). I bought both office and bedroom furniture. The furniture is very well made and made in the US. They have a limited number of distributors, but most will ship. I only saw one piece of Tom Seely furniture before making my purchase, but when I mentioned this furniture in any furniture store I was always told it was very well made. I ultimately ordered this furniture from Wishbrook Furniture in Westminster, SC.

I asked the owner of a shop that refinishes furniture for me to look at this furniture. He was very impressed with the quality and the finish work from both.

I would definitely purchase furniture from both of these companies again.

Bookmark   April 5, 2010 at 1:04PM
amish-furniture-home

Hi Polie,
I saw your post and I'd like to suggest Amish Tables in Ann Arbor, MI. I've done some marketing work for them, so I'm pretty familiar with their operation. They whole-heartedly embrace the "Buy American" movement and have written several blog posts on the subject. And their online presence is pretty thorough. They have a downloadable catalog and pictures of every piece of furniture you could want. AND they work with you if you need to custom design the piece.

It's a pretty easy process and they'll ship anywhere in the US. Their link is below. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amish Tables in Ann Arbor

Bookmark   April 7, 2010 at 4:50PM
polie

I really appreciate these helpful suggestions!

Bookmark   April 9, 2010 at 7:55PM
nancnh

Hubbingtons is Barrington, NH is becoming a good sized dealer of some different Amish companies. I believe they said most of their manufacturers were from Ohio, but they were starting to do some business from Wisc. When I was in there the other day, there was a Mennonite family walking around. I guess they were trying to sell their line of furniture to Hubbingtons!

Bookmark   May 7, 2010 at 7:03PM
nessie1020

We've purchased a solid cherry table and chairs from a Mennonite woodworker in Penn Yan NY/Finger Lakes area. His company is Horning Furniture. Alvin also makes bedroom furniture and hutches, etc, and his son makes kitchen cabinets. Our table was $400, 40x48 with 2 leaves, and chairs were $190 each. I also got solid oak armchairs for my waiting room for $175 each. When we were picking up our chairs last time we met a couple from Syracuse who were also repeat customers. A bit of a drive but the prices are great and the furniture beautiful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Horning's Furniture

Bookmark   May 12, 2010 at 6:48PM
More Discussions
Couch for Big and Tall Guy
What suggestions would you all offer on what to look...
happs
I want to make a sofa box cushion the right size.
I have two sofas, that I would like to re-upholster....
pisley
Omnia leather furniture
We have seen a sofa by Omnia that we like - for around...
Susijo
Who Are Reputable Made In America/North American Furniture Companies?
I am looking for great-room/living room furniture for...
mothersnood
Taylor King sofas ??
We have found a couple Taylor King sofas that we really...
fleurdelis05
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™