bank service charge - need suggestions

tcharles53April 6, 2006

It recently came to may attention when I was refinancing a loan that I had been charged a bank service fee for almost two years that should not have been. Here's the story: I was offered (in other words they solcited me) a "select service" account because of doing so much $$ business with this bank. This entitled me to no service charge for checks. Now I admit I do not balance my check book and rely on checking my checks on the phone to see what has cleared. I have however, kept all of my past bank statements. Recently when I went in to refinance, the banker offerred me the "select service" account again. I was a little confused because I thought I had it. When he cheked he stated that I did alreay have it, but the bank (person) had not linked all of my accounts so I was being charged an additional montly fee (because I needed a minimim amount of money to qualify). He refunded the current month's finance charge. I, needless to say am pretty upset. In toto there is over $500 in accrued service charges that should never have been. I have been fighting this - now up to the regional manager. Am being told that it was my responsibility to balance my check book and "catch" THEIR error. They are offerring me 6 months in back fees when I want the total 20 months worth. I am going to battle this out - however, if anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davidandkasie

learn to balance you checkbook. this is not just to catch "their" errors, but ANY unauthorized transactions. with e commerce so widespread now, all anyone needs is the routiing and account number of your account to purchase goods online. i buy stuff all the time using our corporate accounts, even though i am not an authorized signator on those accounts. in my case, i am buying things for the company, but someone could just as easily be raiding your account and you would never know it.

look how many times you overlooked the bank charges!

Bookmark   April 6, 2006 at 1:39PM
richard_f

I hate balancing my checkbook too, but I've gotten into the habit of looking at the transactions hitting my account on the banks website a couple of times a week. Since I don't generally have a lot of uncleared checks, it's easy to see if the bank balance agrees with what I have in Quicken. It's also a good way to spot unauthorized transactions right away.

Bookmark   April 6, 2006 at 3:56PM
tcharles53

Yes - I will certainly do so in the future, however I don't think that absolves them of the right to return my money - it is not a big deal to refund money that should have never been there's in the first place.

Bookmark   April 6, 2006 at 4:33PM
davidandkasie

i agree that they should refund the money, but they are also correct in that the fault is yours that it was not caught sooner. IMHO them offering 6 months worth of refund is more than generous.

but hey, if you can talk them into the whole amount go for it!

Bookmark   April 6, 2006 at 5:08PM
tcharles53

I talked them into it! It helps to take appropriate responsibility, to be calm, rational, and PERSISTENT.

Bookmark   April 10, 2006 at 4:25PM
joyfulguy

tcharles53,

Well - you did it!

As I've said several times around here, "Ya don't ask - ya don't get!".

Also, the watchwords are, as you say, take responsibility, be calm, rational and persistent.

And know what you want.

Try to keep the ball in the other guy's court - the guy who's on the defensive has either got to get on the offensive ... or, almost certainly - lose.

Now, to celebrate ...

... you can take us all out to dinner.

Have a great week.

ole joyful

Bookmark   April 11, 2006 at 6:51PM
More Discussions
refinancing a home
Just learned my interest is 5.25 on our home morgage....
victory_tea2085
Do I need to give a 1099-misc to the lady who cleans for me?
For the first time ever, I began having a lady clean...
sogofan
Just because you pay your bills on time.....
doesn't guarantee you have good credit The "Paying...
myfask
How would I sell fur coats?
Let me say, first, please donÂt bash me for having...
linnea56
Family Banking Concept, anyone heard of it?
I did a search here and did not see any similiar thread....
rjinga
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™