cost to rebuild fireplace

salbwilAugust 12, 2006

Hi,

I have a 1978 heatilator ( metal unit with brick face) fireplace that has never worked right. It smokes, and has a few other problems that I won't go into here, but I would like to either rebuild and make a conventional fireplace , or install a wood burning insert.I know I will need to line my chimney and raise it ( smoke issue), but have no idea how much of a project this whole mess will be. Can someone give me a clue as to how much this will cost?

Many thanks, salbwil

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rick_fireplace_guy

greetings from Texas salbwil,
personally I would not recoment a woodburning insert into the old heatilator UNLESS, what you are calling a heatilator is actually the old masonry insert which is just a steel plate three sided box with 2 blowers mounted (usually in the hearth that push out air in slits in the brick over the fireplace. If thats the case the fireplace is called a heat form and its perfectly fine to install an insert into. and really not that big of a deal in the install. If the fireplace is truely a zero clearance unit called a heatilator I would recomend updating to a newer unit. And if you are looking for an actuall heating unit I would recomend looking at EPA certified fireplaces or even a free standing wood stove in its place, without seeing the situation first hand its hard to tell you a true direction in which to go. If you would like to email some pics I would be glad to look at them and then make recomendations as to what I would do if I were you.

Bookmark   August 12, 2006 at 5:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
salbwil

Hi rick,
Fireplace sounds like the first one you described with " soldier course" across top line of bricks and fans installed . The fireplace is the widest they made at the time ....4' opening. The man that built and installed the fireplace has since lost his license in our city as a few of those he did had wall fires, so I cannot use the same mason.
Thanks for your help,
Salbwil

Bookmark   August 13, 2006 at 8:58PM
More Discussions
1st timer needs pellet stove guidence
The wife and I just bought a new single floor 1800...
bksinaz
Harmon pellet stove.
What is your experience? I purchased a Harmon P-38...
mulesrider
Harman accentra insert wood pellet stove
I'm having a problem with my auger. It won't feed my...
Kyle22
Non-angled corner fireplace?
How would you describe this fireplace? I've been trying...
fenix409
Recommendation on direct-vent gas fireplace?
Hi all, We are building a new home and plan to have...
kitchengirl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™