Rumford

dandmAugust 25, 2007

Considering a kiva Rumford. Interested in hearing any opinions (installation pro/con, costs, performance). Not many contractors in our area are familiar with Rumford.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SeattlePioneer

That you are considering a Rumsford fireplace implies you are concerned about the efficiency of a fireplace.

If that's the case, then make the leap to understanding that all conventional fireplaces are an obsolete technology if considered from the standpoint of heating efficiency.

The smart move would be installing a wood stove, any of which are vastly more efficient than any conventional fireplace.

Seattle Pioneer

Bookmark   September 1, 2007 at 10:56AM
dandm

They may be obsolete, but there is still an ambiance about a fireplace, that a woodstove can't match. Heating efficiency is an important consideration, but not the only consideration.

Bookmark   September 3, 2007 at 4:15PM
nhyankee

dandm,

Rumfords are great and very efficient for open fireplaces. For not too much more money I would suggest that you look at masonry heaters and tile stoves. Those made by Biofire have a kiva like look to them in some cases. Masonry heaters are among the most efficient ways to burn and heat with wood and you still can have the ambiance of a fire to some degree.

If your area contractors aren't familiar with Rumfords Bellfires makes a modular Rumford out of precast components but I don't know how you could get the kiva look. I have added a link which is a great reference for Rumfords although you may already be familiar with it. It gives a list of Rumford masons from around the country so you might be able to find one in your area.

Here is a link that might be useful: Buckley Rumford Company

Bookmark   September 7, 2007 at 9:30PM
dandm

nhyankee.
Thanks for the Rumford link. I'm not familiar with Biofire, I'll take a look at their website.

Bookmark   September 10, 2007 at 10:30AM
More Discussions
Fireglass getting discolored
I have a vented fireplace that can burn wood or gas....
anjn
Travertine tile reface on fireplace surround & hearth
Help - We have torn down the old fake stone facing...
pennymw
something stinks in here!
I built a fire in out basement fireplace last week,...
congaman59
Xtrordinair Fireplace
We were directed to a local shop selling this product....
Lutha
Converting wood fireplace to gas fireplace
Help, I'm overwhelmed. Any link to a good site that...
nosoccermom
Sponsored Products
Furniture of America Rumford Low Profile Bed - IDF-7118Q
$489.93 | Hayneedle
Rumford Bridge Kitchen Faucet - Cross Handles
Signature Hardware
Cal Lighting BO-2280TB Rumford Glass Table Lamp - BO-2280TB
$149.60 | Hayneedle
Furniture of America Rumford 2 Drawer Nightstand - IDF-7118N
$199.99 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™