Quartz or granite scrap for hearth? Will it work?

mcubedAugust 20, 2007

Hi all - We have two fireplaces in our house that are fairly clean-lined and contemporary. When we remodeled our house 3 years ago, we just painted over the brick hearth as a temporary solve. We are now to the point we want to start taking care of some of these details. I was wondering if laying a slab of quartz or granite will work. We are currently having quartz counters being laid in our kitchen so that's what sparked this idea. The clean, simplicity of it would look great - especially in quartz since it's more uniform. I thought maybe we can see what scraps/bits the stone yard has and have them fit for our two fireplaces. Please let me know your thoughts and any tips or things we would need to look out for.

Thanks, in advance!

Kristy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ventupete

It would absolutely work. Most stoneyards and fabricators have remnants from other jobs that they are all too happy to sell. A couple of things: First, make sure you have considered if you need the slabs to be edged and/or edges polished so that you don't end up with an unfinished edge showing on the front and sides. Second, the quartz and granite will both handle the heat well but be carefull that there is no "flaw"(veins, seams, cracks) in front of the firebox - the expansion and contraction caused by the temperature swing could cause a flaw to open up.

Bookmark   August 20, 2007 at 4:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mcubed

Oh, that is great news! I will be very careful about flaws - thanks for bringing that to my attention. I am so excited that this will work. I appreciate your time in getting back to me!

Kristy

Bookmark   August 20, 2007 at 5:02PM
More Discussions
Semi-detached home shared flue fireplace
Hi this is my first post to this forum so forgive me...
hiddentrails
something stinks in here!
I built a fire in out basement fireplace last week,...
congaman59
Converting wood fireplace to gas fireplace
Help, I'm overwhelmed. Any link to a good site that...
nosoccermom
Gas Fireplace question
We recently bought a second home, and it has a gas...
grapefruit1_ar
do you recognize this stacked stone?
I would like to install stacked stone and found this...
rosebay
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™