Smith Bros of Berne vs King Hickory Sofas

kzcampFebruary 1, 2012

Getting ready tp purchase sofa and chair and leather ottoman. Any opinions on these 2 companies? KH seems to have more options, they have the fabric I like but Smith Bros has the chair I like. I have bought furniture from NC a few times with great satisfaction but in this economy I feel I should buy from one of the small local retailers. Dealing with 2 stores like them both.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susie53_gw

I have a Smith Brother, couch, chair, an oversized chair and ottoman and I can't say enough about the quality. In have had them 10 years and they still look like new.

P.S. I grew up about 5 miles from the Smith Brothers furniture factory..

Bookmark   February 8, 2012 at 4:38PM
LeslieP

I have two Smith Brother love seats that are four years old, get heavy use and still look like the day they were delivered.

Bookmark   February 15, 2012 at 2:57PM
francypants

King Hickory may have the fabric you like but after one day you might not like it so much. We picked out a gorgeous herringbone chenille that looked way too good to be in their standard price. Sit or lean on it once and it was ruined. Sofa looks 20 years old and we bought it about 2 years ago. No kids or dogs, either. I wish I would have gone with the Smith Bros. I had one years back and it was wonderful.

There used to be a poster here would talked about a fabric's "rub count" (I think). Try Googling that and it will give you a test to do so you can find out how good the fabric is.

Good luck!

Bookmark   February 18, 2012 at 1:37PM
fancie64

Purchased King Hickory sofa and chair in 2008. Within 2 years, the sofa and chair cushions were totally deflated. You are sitting on the frame. You can feel the wood in the arms when you sit in the chair. I have furniture (Sherrill) that's 20 years old that looks better. The worst part is that you cannot deal with the company directly, they will not even answer an email. They definitely do not stand behind their product. I will buy Smith Brothers or Sherrill the next time I purchase upholstered pieces.

Bookmark   March 8, 2014 at 8:46PM
More Discussions
Leather Furniture Expo
I'm considering purchasing a sofa by Elite Leather,...
Jen44012
Recommendation for high-end modern Asian furniture?
Aside from Berkeley Mills in Berkeley, CA, does anyone...
Cam Chan
Kitchen Table Repair
Hi. My kitchen table has a crack in it and I was wondering...
marc83
Who makes the Saratoga Wicker Armchair for Restoration Hardware?
I am looking for two Saratoga Wicker Armchairs from...
grayc89
Anyone else sick of the spam?
Spam, as in "Pro" members linking to their...
sushipup1
Sponsored Products
Eclipse 9 Piece Outdoor Patio Sofa Set in Espresso White
$2,299.00 | LexMod
Purcell Living | Bias Small Ottoman
YLiving.com
Furniture of America Richborough Fabric and Leatherette Loveseat - Dark Brown -
Hayneedle
Modway Loft Leather Left-Arm Sectional Sofa in White
Beyond Stores
Madsen Leather Sofa - Brighton Breeze Green
Joybird Furniture