Is chenille upholstery fabric dated?

redfeatherbuttFebruary 27, 2010

I know chenille has been popular and after procrastinating I am finally getting around to picking a fabric to recover a family room sofa. Would chenille still be appropriate? Or is it going out of style?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bobismyuncle

I would worry more about the ability for it to stay nice looking. I've seen several chenille pieces that were permanently damaged in the first few weeks of ownership.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chenille and water don't get along.

Bookmark   February 28, 2010 at 11:27AM
redfeatherbutt

Geesh! Thank you! I had no idea! Off I go to look at another options! I have to rethink my dining room chairs too. I was going to use a cotton/rayon velvet.

Bookmark   February 28, 2010 at 4:52PM
kateskouros

i think as with anything there are different levels of quality. we have a hancock and moore sofa, ten years old upholstered in chenille. it still looks pretty good to me! i was thinking about getting it reupholstered but upon closer inspection i realize my problem is not with the fabric, but with the cushions. so, new cushions it is and a professional cleaning.

Bookmark   March 9, 2010 at 12:26AM
mrsmarv

We have a Clayton Marcus sectional covered in a chenille fabric and at this point (had it for a year), it shows no ill effects. We use it every day, along with the cats and dog.

Bookmark   March 9, 2010 at 10:04AM
harleysbud

I think it's a very versatile fabric. I've had two chenille sofas and the last one has lasted for over 10 years. It is my main sofa in the LR and been used by 4 family members and a few animals over the years. I've cleaned it once. I do have to say that my sofa was $2K 10 years ago, so it's a higher end sofa and the material does have a Scotchguard finish.

I wouldn't hesitate to purchase this type of fabric in the future.

Bookmark   April 5, 2010 at 6:36PM
More Discussions
Bernhardt vs. Thomasville for leather.
Thinking of getting a leather sofa for its durability....
Sparks72
Tolix for outdoors?
Does anyone have experience using Tolix chairs outdoors?...
Chris 802
Michael Thomas sectional
Recently rented a luxury ski home that featured a Michael...
Christina Stumpf
trundle bed/daybed questions
My mom is giving me the trundle bet frame and mattresses...
cindywhitall
Who Are Reputable Made In America/North American Furniture Companies?
I am looking for great-room/living room furniture for...
mothersnood
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™