Tile experts?

footwedgeFebruary 26, 2011

What's your opinion on removing linoleum prior to laying tile? Erred and posted this on the remodeling forum before I saw this one.

TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glennsfc

What is your installation method?

Bookmark   February 26, 2011 at 3:35PM
footwedge

My plan was to have the tile laid directly atop the linoleum removing any loose edges. The linoleum came in a roll like carpet and was placed in 1988.

Since my initial post, I checked a few areas were the cabinets have been removed and discovered that its not bonded as good as I thought. The edges aren't curling but it's easy to separate from the floor. I think it will need to come up.

If I do remove it, do I need to remove all the glue too? It appears the glue was applied with a notched trowel.

Bookmark   February 26, 2011 at 5:08PM
stoneeater

Usually lino releases because the glue used is water soluble. You do not want that glue under your tile. If you soak it with water it should release easily. But sometimes a longer soak is required. Wet towels or sheets help there.

Bookmark   February 26, 2011 at 5:57PM
jerry_t

One should remove existing vinyl and/or linoleum if you're planning to install a standard tile floor. Use caution and identify that the existing floor covering does not contain asbestos.

There is a floating tile floor available called Avaire that can be installed over top vinyl/linoleum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Avaire

Bookmark   February 27, 2011 at 7:17AM
footwedge

I've started the removal process and it's a chore. I would say 1/2 came to the glue and only the very top layer on the other half which is not bad. Once the top layer is removed the paper? backing is somewhat easily removed with a 4" razor scraper.

What about the remaining glue. Is it better to soak and scrape or maybe use a orbital sander with coarse grit paper. The glue when scraped turns to a dry powder which is why I think sanding may be easier.

I welcome any suggestions. The house was built in 1988 so I'm not concerned with asbestos.

TIA

Bookmark   March 8, 2011 at 12:03PM
footwedge

follow up. I saturated 2 towels and covered with plastic overnight. The remaining under layers removed very easily. Hardly used the scraper but the glue remained. Additional hand scraping resulted in partial glue removal in short string like pieces or ribbons..

Bookmark   March 8, 2011 at 3:08PM
greencleaning

You can rent a "stripper" to remove sheet vinyl and other types of flooring.

Bookmark   March 10, 2011 at 10:00PM
More Discussions
Has anyone used Wicanders Vinyl Comfort flooring?
I'm really struggling to find the right floor for my...
lovelierthoughts
Experiences with vinyl flooring
Hello, I was wondering individuals experiences with...
einajr
trying to figure out vinyl vs wood laminate Help !
I am new to using anything other than real wood......
roksee
cleaning hardwood floors & tile floors
What's best way to clean hardwood floors.... how can...
kat123
Need help open area flooring (great room, kitchen).
Hello, please help. I am looking for flooring that...
einajr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™