I own an older home with 2 fireplaces. Fireplace 1 is on second floor with approx. 20foot chimney of brick. Old owner removed damper so flue is open all the time. (Another issue). Smoke flows into room when burning fire from start to finish. Weather occasionally helps but does not eliminate problem.
Middle of open field so no trees to block airflow. Flue is at least 10" in diameter. Opening windows doesn't seem to help and house is very well ventilated. Tried burning further back in firebo and burning newspaper first to heat chimney but no help. Have standard chimney cap with lots space avove chimney opening.
Tried so much and no luck! Any tips greatly appreciated!