Fireplace repair - is sealing the chimney cap neccessary

phish_gwAugust 19, 2008

Our chimney sweep came last week and said there were cracks in the top of the chimney (they've pointed this out for a few years now). He recommended we have him seal it because if not, water can currently get in and freeze which can do damange (which maybe could lead to a chimney fire?). Does anyone know if this type of repair is neccessary?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
haus_proud

If you have cracks that water can get into, there is a risk that it will freeze and cause the cracks to get larger and larger because water expands when it freezes. Eventually that might result in a bigger problem. That chimney sweep sounds like he knows what he's talking about, but I do not think anyone in this forum can give you a complete answer without looking at your situation. I would go to another chimney guy -- either another sweeper or a contractor who specializes in chimneys -- and ask for a second opinion. In any event, you should get several bids for the work, and ask around to find out who is really competent and reliable. That should be easy if you have neighbors with similar chimneys.

Bookmark   August 19, 2008 at 3:11PM
More Discussions
Linear Fireplace
Can I put a 60 inch linear fireplace in place of this...
kjez2010
Recommendation on direct-vent gas fireplace?
Hi all, We are building a new home and plan to have...
kitchengirl
replacing wood burning stove with wb fireplace, will it work?
Living room had a wood burning stove. There's a 6"...
petecon
Fireplace Options?
Looking to put a wood burning fireplace in our new...
rmverb
Help me decide on a fireplace unit for new build
We are doing a gas Heatilator unit. Is there much difference...
brodyt
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™