Any suggestions for a mantle around this insert

mchaney1August 16, 2008

I want to do something with this fireplace to try to lighten the room. Any ideas on what to do. I posted this elsewhere and got great ideas. The only problem is that I am unsure if I can paint the surround and place a mantel around it. Or can I take away the surround and do something else with it. Please help. I am confused, as usual :-)

This is what I have now...

These were ideas given to me. The only problem is in the photo shopped pics the surround was removed. Is it possible to remove the surround and do something else?

Please let me know what you think. Thanks so much!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
haus_proud

You can replace the surround with anything that is non-combustible such as tile, brick, marble, stone, etc. Probably this least expensive and least disruptive thing you could do is to paint the cast iron surround a different color. (I assume it's cast iron -- maybe it's powder coated sheet metal made to look like cast iron.)

If you decide to paint the existing surround, you obviously have to make sure you use paint that is compatible with the high heat environment of the surround.

If you want to install a mantile that surrounds the existing iron surround to sort of "dress it up", you could do that and then you would have a more traditional looking fireplace. That additional surround MIGHT be combustible like wood IF the specs for the insert show that you have enough clearance. If you need a little more clearance, you can install tile over the brick as a surround around the existing metal surround and then put in the wood mantle around that. If you did that, your fireplace would look similar to ours, although our gas insert is from a different manufacturer. How do you like yours, by the way, does it give nice cozy heat?

Bookmark   August 16, 2008 at 10:55AM
More Discussions
Putting television IN firebox of fireplace
Long time lurker, first time poster. I've searched...
sherrgr
best way to clean a brick hearth?
i have tried washing the brick, but it still looks...
bmmalone
Gas Fireplace question
We recently bought a second home, and it has a gas...
grapefruit1_ar
do you recognize this stacked stone?
I would like to install stacked stone and found this...
rosebay
Travertine tile reface on fireplace surround & hearth
Help - We have torn down the old fake stone facing...
pennymw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™