Flooring help

Whit461February 14, 2013

We are remodleing the kitchen and opening it up to the DR. I am planning on pulling up the old harwood floor in the kitchen and replacing it with new hardwood. Width is not the problem, I am worried about the thickness. Everywhere I read, new floor comes up to 3/4" thick. I measured this morning and our floors are 7/8" thick. Big difference. Is 3/4 really 7/8? Should I use a thinner floor and place some underlayment or sheething down to build it up? Help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jfcwood

I have never seen 7/8" thick wood flooring but I guess anything's possible. Probably the easiest thing to do would be to use 3/4" thick floor and shim as needed using roofing felt.

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 3:29PM
Whit461

It's an old house and many of the materials are of odd or older sizes. For example, in our house, a 2x4 measures 2x4. I was able to use a carpenter's measure and confirmed twice the wood flooring height as 7/8. Long talk with DW over a bottle of Sav Blanc and we decided to stay with the old floor and do as much as we can to clean it up and refinish.

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 5:55AM
JetSwet

Use luon sheets to raise it up will be better then shims. Luon is less then 1/4" or double up on rosin paper.

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 7:45PM
gamountains

#30 roofing felt would work ideally. May need to adjust accordingly along with #15. Rosin paper is too thin, would become too cushioned...potential squeaks

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 5:04PM
More Discussions
Color/species of new wood floor next to original VG Fir?
Our 1918 house was added on to in the 80's and rather...
fjernsyn
Filler in travertine marble tiles is coming out causing pitting
We put travertine marble throughout our house. We were...
caribbeancupcake
My experience: refinish hardwood floors with Bona Traffic
I thought it would be helpful to others to read about...
nanj
Wood-flooring vs tile in home with dog
I'm remodeling my 2-story condo and replacing flooring....
LARemodel
Un-level kitchen and associated issues...
So my wife and I just finished a renovation of our...
hundredwaters
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™