Outdoor glass fireplace - burner advice needed

jeffandpamsmithJuly 3, 2011

I have an old copper tank from a hot water heater. It's 40 years old, and my dad cut it in half lengthwise so my brother and I are building 2 gas firepits. They would be 60"long x17" wide. They lay flat like horse drinking troughs, and the lacquer he put on it 40 years ago keeps them a copper color still after even 20 years outside as "flowerpots".

We will fill them 1/2 way up with white silica/sand, lay the burners on top, and put about 3" of fireglass on top.

Here's the question. The glass fireplace sites sell a 36" H-shaped burner (2 36" pipes 7" apart) for about $108 each.

http://www.blazingglass.com/fireplace-h-burners/

But burners for grills can be had for about $70, using 2 burners each 19" x 7".

http://www.stonewelltradingcompany.com/Standard_Stainless_Steel-EALB_Economy_Large_Gas_Grill_Burner_Stainless_Steel_w_V7_Venturi_Economy_Version_of_Gas_Grill_Burner_ALB.html

They seem to have more holes, and once covered I would think they would work as well. Flame volume would be adjusted by the gas flow, but I would think I could get more spread with these, and could move them a bit apart to fill more of the 60" trough. I would just need to run a split feeder line.

Any thoughts, words of wisdom, etc would be welcome.

Thanks

More Discussions
Bodart & Gonay Optifire zero-clearance wood FP?
While browsing around shopping for a wood zero-clearance...
rosie
help please ! saw a picture, how can this be made?
Can anyone help me figure out these dimensions and...
abick2
How can I update this 60s facade?
The home I'm buying was built in 1959 and I don't think...
demeterchaos
Does this old fireplace have options?
Hey everybody! My home was built in 1930 and originally...
Kristin Jennings
Converting wood fireplace to gas fireplace
Help, I'm overwhelmed. Any link to a good site that...
nosoccermom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™