Fireplace codes in CA? Want to make it flush with the wall

ksmommyJuly 24, 2010

We are planning on taking out the ugly looking tiles that are around our fireplace by taking out the tile extension that creates a box sort around the fireplace opening. We want the fireplace flush to the wall. We dont want to keep the mantle either. We are replacing carpet with laminate flooring.

To make the flushed fireplace presentable,we will border it with granite(same width of the tile that are present now).

Are there any restrictions,codes that we need to keep in mind while doing this?

Do we need to extend the granite on the floor until a certain distance or having laminate floors at the opening of the fireplace ok?

Where can I look for the codes?

Suggestions appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fireplace picture

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grtwhtbufalo

I'm not sure if you found your answer to this or not, but I'll try to help you if you haven't finished this project yet. Most gas fireplaces have a minimum clearance to conbustables. More than likely you have a gas fireplace that has a 1/2 to 1" clearance on the back, plus you have to consider the venting, does it vent straight out the back or does it vent verticle. If it vents out the back, you might not be able to move the f/p back any further. As for the front, as long as it's not a wood fireplace you should be fine finishing right up to the fireplace with whatever you want. Find out the make of your f/p and look for their website and they will give you an owners manual for your f/p that will give you all the f/p specs that you will need. I hope that this helps.

Bookmark   August 30, 2010 at 5:01PM
More Discussions
Fireplace Options?
Looking to put a wood burning fireplace in our new...
rmverb
Help me decide on a fireplace unit for new build
We are doing a gas Heatilator unit. Is there much difference...
brodyt
How can I update this 60s facade?
The home I'm buying was built in 1959 and I don't think...
demeterchaos
Couple of questions about installing stone veneer
Little background - original lava rock fireplace was...
rosebay
Do I need a fireplace in Southern California
I am in the middle of renovations in my town home and...
LARemodel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™