help with fireplace surround

pinkshelbyJuly 7, 2009

Need opinions on what we should do to add shelving on either side of our fireplace.

I want to add pics but not sure how?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fandlil

You need to make sure you observe the recommended clearances around the firebox, the amount of space above and on either side of the firebox that must be composed of fireproof material like brick, slate, marble or stone, or some other noncombustible material. If your fireplace is a prefab, the manufacturer's owner's manual should give you the clearances. If your fireplace was custom built, you could ask a chimney sweep for his recommendations about safe clearances. If it was properly designed and built, it already has noncombustible material around the firebox. So your only concern is not to disturb that, or to replace it or cover it with another noncombustible material for decorative purposes. Just make sure your bookcases are outside the clearances.

By the way, if you haven't cleaned your chimney, you should do it soon, while chemney sweeps are idle. If you don't know one, ask around for recommendations from friends or neighbors.

Good luck with your plans.

Bookmark   July 9, 2009 at 10:16PM
More Discussions
Xtrordinair Fireplace
We were directed to a local shop selling this product....
Lutha
Can woodstove clog a chimney in a month??
We had a Quadrafire 5100 woodburning stove insert installed...
kitasei
Napoleon Fireplaces - Be Careful
I purchased an expensive Napoleon fireplace last summer,...
joc6820
How can I update this 60s facade?
The home I'm buying was built in 1959 and I don't think...
demeterchaos
cleaning soot off rock fireplace surround
My rock wall fireplace looks dingy from 50 years of...
pompeii
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™