Linear Fireplace Choices

rayboy01July 31, 2010

We are planning to remove the pellet stove in our living room and install a direct vent linear fireplace. We are looking at units by Heat and Glo (RED 40), Napolean, Regency, Montego, European Home, Halcyon, Sparks, and others. We are confused by the choices of makes and models. We are also finding that the premium being asked by suppliers for linear fireplaces seems to be troubling. Any advice on brands, models, installation tips, etc. would be most appreciated. So, in short, "Help!" Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wawawoo

What did you end up doing? Am in same situation now and can't decide.

Bookmark   September 21, 2013 at 10:07PM
kayakboy

wawawoo - what brands have you been looking at?

We have been shopping for a see-thru linear fireplace for new home. We are in Texas and there are limited dealers here.

There seem to be about three levels available - the "price is no object" crowd, mid-range in quality, and lower end stuff that may or may not be quality.

We want a more modern style and that has ruled out some of the models.

The current list has:
heat-n-glo Red-40
Monessen Serenede See- thru (or Majestic Echelon see-thru - same fireplace)

Do you have others one your list? Some of the are available for pretty good discounts on ebay or internet dealers.

Note that installation can be pretty high cost for any of these units.

HTH

Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 7:53AM
wawawoo

I was hoping you'd have found a fabulous, yet inexpensive, solution by now and I could just copy you! We are in TX too - there really isn't much choice, possibly because we don't really need a fireplace to function too often!

We have actually changed our mind in the last few days and are now thinking about installing a modern wood stove, just so that we don't need to worry about finding the perfect linear fire that fits in the space that we would be building - all the ones we like, and that are a good size for what we want, are crazy expensive.

Having said that, modern stoves are not cheap either. But we think it will heat up the whole of downstairs on the few cold evenings we get, and it will allow us more flexibility in terms of where the TV goes. And it adds a bit more character rather than a blank black rectangle on the wall when it's not in use.

Perhaps I should be asking why you are getting rid of your stove and replacing with a linear?

Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 11:07AM
kayakboy

natural gas easier than wood :).

We need direct vent either way. Even the least powerful gas fireplace can heat the fairly small space enclosing it.

Some of the fancy linear fireplaces has LEDs in the bottom to provide ambiance when not is use.

The installation costs were the big surprise - around $3k per fireplace.

Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 11:53AM
More Discussions
Do I need a fireplace in Southern California
I am in the middle of renovations in my town home and...
LARemodel
Fireplace Placement Please Help
We are trying to make a decision to center our fireplace...
shancap
cleaning soot off rock fireplace surround
My rock wall fireplace looks dingy from 50 years of...
pompeii
Large Fireplace
Hi. I am trying to have my fireplace in my living room...
mt123
Travertine tile reface on fireplace surround & hearth
Help - We have torn down the old fake stone facing...
pennymw
Sponsored Products
Delicate Wood Inlay Tray Table
Overstock.com
Glenford Wall Sconce
Lightology
Progress Lighting Recessed Lighting 4 in. White Recessed Open Trim P8145-28
$27.63 | Home Depot
Deco Revival Ava 5-Light Nickel Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
Jasmine Ruffle Quilt Set
$69.99 | zulily