Cost reasonable for carpet and installation?

katrina_ellenFebruary 26, 2012

I just got a quote from a local flooring company for Shaw evertouch carpeting, it is from the Queen line, and is a high and low loop style called "Natural Beauty", it has the look of a natural fiber rug. The quote includes everything-taking out the old carpet and moving the furniture. The quote is 6.86 total per square foot. Anyone familiar with this carpet that can tell me if this is reasonable? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pricepal

Its ok. seems around .75 a foot higher than my area, but it depends on a lot of factors as you know.

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 8:27AM
katrina_ellen

pricepal,
What other factors would be part of the cost? They are quoting an 8lb. pad, the space is small, approximately 208 sq/ft and its for a room and a hallway. This is from a store that has been around since 1960 and family run. I know the carpet I choose is a little higher in price, not sure what they are charging for that a ft., but the padding is .39 a foot. I think the carpet is a little under $4. a foot.

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 9:55AM
pricepal

Ah, I should of read closer. We moved our own furniture and ripped out our own carpeting, so thats part of the difference.

In reality the labor cost is the great unknown. It varies wildly from region to region, and dealer to dealer and sometimes you DO NOT get what you pay for.

I would buy from a family owned store also. They have a vested interest in whats going on and IMHO actually take pride in whats going on.

This is one of those purchases where cost should not be the first consideration.

Bookmark   February 27, 2012 at 7:16AM
Floortech

63 bucks a yard seems pricey to me. Queen is a step down from tuftex and tuftex highest products are about that. So I believe the store is not being shy. But it is a small room.

Bookmark   February 27, 2012 at 11:23PM
katrina_ellen

I thought the size of the room was probably a factor in the price. Thanks floortech.

Bookmark   February 28, 2012 at 3:04PM
More Discussions
Please help - can't find a review anywhere
I haven't been able to find any consumer feedback on...
ciana
Cerameta Luxury Flooring - Vinyl Plank
Has anyone used/installed a Cerameta floating floor?...
emlach
Bamboo Floor Disaster
Hi, I got new bamboo floors when I renovated my NYC...
katefriedmann
Where can I find some replacement Haddon Hall parquet tiles?
I've been searching the Internets for a particular...
qacer
why is everyone pushing water based poly?
Everyone that I have gotten estimates for is pricing...
NYMK
Sponsored Products
Serena Fold-Up Wood Shower Seat
Signature Hardware
Wood Molding & Trim: Bruce Flooring Caramel Maple 5/8 in. Thick x 2 in. Wide x
$43.03 | Home Depot
Feiss Wall Mounted Lighting & Sconces Mila Oil Rubbed Bronze Wall Sconce
Home Depot
FreePad Red Veg Dyed Hand Knotted Wool Persian 8' X 10' Oriental Heriz Rug H4034
BH Sun Inc
Deep Bowl White 16-Inch Outdoor Pendant with White Cord
$149.95 | Bellacor
Orbitor Galvanized 16-Inch Outdoor Pendant with Frosted Glass and Black Cord
$237.95 | Bellacor
Pakistani Super Kazak Knotted By Hand Wool 3'x4' Red Veg Dyed Oriental Rug H5277
BH Sun Inc
Organic Strands Giclee Bronze Swing Arm Wall Light
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™