Cherry cabinets, maple floor -- yellowing?

k9fanFebruary 20, 2012

We're actually well past the point when the contractor would like us to have our kitchen flooring chosen, but we remain indecisive. Our perimeter cabinets are a medium cherry, our island is called maple toffee. We want a wood floor that blends with both cabinet colors but is lighter than either of them. It also should call a lot of attention to itself, as our countertop granite is already going to draw the eye and we don't want other features to compete.

Our first floor choice was a natural maple, but I am afraid that it will yellow -- the kitchen has a large skylight so the floor will get a lot of sunlight -- and no longer look good with the cabinets. We have considered a bleached (and re-stained) oak, but the maple as it comes from the store really has a nice warm look to it, while the bleached oak looks rather blah.

Do we have reason to be concerned? Below I'm attaching pictures of the kitchen so far and the granite we're going to use for the counters.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
clg7067

Natural maple definitely will yellow. But, there are a lot of stained maples out there.

Bookmark   February 20, 2012 at 12:13PM
More Discussions
Reviews : Brazilian direct - http://www.brazilianhardwood.com/ -
Did any one purchase solid hardwood from Brazilian...
luxman
Best flooring for dog who doesn't 'hold it'
Hello Everyone- I am moving into a new house. The house...
krylander
Hallmark Hardwoods Historic Walnut Alta vista collection
Has anyone installed Hallmark Hardwoods Historic Walnut...
lotsofkids
No hardwood warranty from HOM Furniture store - midwest
So after falling in love with Birch engineered floor...
Maryna
Chinese Hardwood Flooring - After Lumber Liquidators & 60 Minutes
Wondering how folks are now feeling about buying imported...
Ken Fisher
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™