What type of stone to use on fireplace ?

ibjamminJuly 20, 2007

I am about to reface the brick fireplace and hearth in my living room and was wondering what type of stone seems to be the most popular to use and are there any advantages or disadvantages of one over the other ? I would prefer to stay away from the real shiny look.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oruboris

In my area, riverstone is out and drystack is in: people got tired of looking at all the mortar between those round rocks.

'Cultured' stone is a trademark of Owens corning, but has become a generic term to stone cast of lightweight concrete. Weighs less than real stone, costs more to buy but less to install. Can be used in situations where real stone would require too much structural retrofitting. Cultured stone and el dorado stone are two popular product lines.

One of the least expensive looks is to use granite or travertine tiles: sleek and elegant.

Choose a stone that compliments the style of the room, and that you'll enjoy looking at for years to come.

Bookmark   July 21, 2007 at 3:06AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jules05

We are looking at purchasing a home with two 60's style brick fireplaces and I would really like our first project with the home to be resurfacing the brick with stone. As this would be a "do it ourselves project" could anyone point us in the right direction for just getting started. Like where would I go to begin looking for a stone to compliment the interior of the home and where would we find step by step instructions on how to tackle this project ourselves.

Bookmark   July 27, 2007 at 10:28PM
More Discussions
Feedback on MORSO 5660 unit with blower
Hi all- we're replacing our wood insert to get a sleeker...
thehype
See-through fireplace
Does anyone have any experience with the Lennox Montebello...
aswansonid
Does this old fireplace have options?
Hey everybody! My home was built in 1930 and originally...
Kristin Jennings
How can I update this 60s facade?
The home I'm buying was built in 1959 and I don't think...
demeterchaos
Sponsored Products
Biscayne Space Saving Rectangle 3-piece Bistro Set
Overstock.com
LaPalma | Toe Coffee Table, Square
YLiving.com
Zeta Bronze One-Light 3-Inch Wide Mini-Pendant with Sphere Canopy and Plum Glass
$191.00 | Bellacor
Urban Renewal P1239 Mini Pendant by Feiss
$150.00 | Lumens
Lippa 7 Piece Dining Set in MultiColored
$1,257.00 | LexMod
Attar Green Onyx Vessel Sink
Signature Hardware
SunPak Dual Stage Stainless Steel Infrared Heater - S34 TSR NG
Hayneedle
Clarte Table Lamp
Lightology
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™