Suggest a matle for this unfinished Gas Fireplace?

queentashaJuly 9, 2008

Can someone suggest a surround idea for this gas fireplace? It's doublesided, the other side is the family room. This side is the great room and I plan to make it a cozy space with dark furniture, although the trim in the room is white and I think I'd like a white wood mantle.

and another view

Note that this is not my furniture, these photos are the previous owner's furniture. They have it separated into two separate spaces. We plan to have it as one big warm sitting area with some dark leather couches, large chairs, and we plan to use the space for game nights, entertaining, etc. The painting on the wall would not be there, nor would the screen, dining room table, etc. I'd appreciate any advice to draw the eye to the fireplace and add to the warmness I plan on instilling in this room. Thanks so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fandlil

I like the black surround that's fitted around the firebox, but the wood frame around the black surround looks out of place. It's the wrong color and the wrong size. I would opt for a darker color wood that's 8-10 inches wide on the sides and maybe 10-12 inches wide above. It could have some kind of etching or design that blends with your decor. I would try to use a sort of neutral design that goes with any decor because fireplaces are usually seen as "permanent" and hard to change.

Instead of dark wood, another option might be satin finish black cast iron or powder-coated steel that looks like cast iron.

A good carpenter can build a wooden surround for you -- or you can buy one on the web if you shop around carefully and find one that will fit right. A metal fabricator will be more costly. The challenge will be to find a really competent installer.

Bookmark   July 25, 2008 at 9:30PM
More Discussions
Converting wood fireplace to gas fireplace
Help, I'm overwhelmed. Any link to a good site that...
nosoccermom
Napoleon Fireplaces - Be Careful
I purchased an expensive Napoleon fireplace last summer,...
joc6820
Large Fireplace
Hi. I am trying to have my fireplace in my living room...
mt123
How can I update this 60s facade?
The home I'm buying was built in 1959 and I don't think...
demeterchaos
Help me decide on a fireplace unit for new build
We are doing a gas Heatilator unit. Is there much difference...
brodyt
Sponsored Products
Moda Flame Braga Collection Free Standing Ethanol Fireplace
Beyond Stores
Solid Brass Gas Fireplace Log Lighter Escutcheon
Signature Hardware
Hudson Valley Lighting | Fulton Vanity Light
$364.00 | YLighting
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Mohawk Home Rugs Triexta Satin Burnished
Home Depot
Sutton Polished Nickel One-Light Bath Fixture
$214.00 | Bellacor