Looking for ideas and pics of woodstove surround

bgateJuly 26, 2007

We are planning a new house and will place a free-standing woodstove between the living and kitchen/dining areas. This is to serve as a focal point (facing the living area)and sort of room divider,as well as providing supplemental heat to the first floor. Initially, we looked at masonry stoves (Tulikivi) but the cost seemed out of line with our heating needs here in central VA. So now we have come up with a plan to surround the woodstove with a stone or brick "heat sink" that will be functional as well as decorative. The general shape would be similar to a hearth, but with a woodstove in the "hearth" opening. The back of the surround would face the dining area and we are thinking of placing a mantle there from some black walnut logs we had cut on the property. Looking for any ideas using stone and/or brick. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christopherh

If you're going to place the stove inside a "hearth" design, just be aware of the minimum height requirements from the top of the stove to the bottom of the opening. There are codes to consider as the top of the stove usually reaches 500 to 600 degrees when operating.

Bookmark   July 31, 2007 at 7:27AM
More Discussions
Help me decide on a fireplace unit for new build
We are doing a gas Heatilator unit. Is there much difference...
brodyt
Xtrordinair Fireplace
We were directed to a local shop selling this product....
Lutha
Gas fireplace- fan or no fan?
Looking at a Mendota and a Heat N Glo full view single...
ryebread2111111
Gas Fire Place
I have a direct vent gas fireplace with a standing...
JakeBrey
direct vent gas fireplace
Hello, I just bought a house and there is a Monessen...
shahgee84
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™