upholster barcelona chair/microsuede

shadeyFebruary 10, 2011

I inherited 2 Barcelona chairs from the 60's. They are knock-offs of the original design. The straps and seat are of horrible quality leather and in bad shape, but the frames are quite solid. They were made in Argentina.

I like the chairs and have been looking into reupolstering them. Given that they are not the hightest quality chairs. I do not think that I want to invest in costly top grain or aniline leather and thought that a high quality faux suede upholstery fabric would be nice --

I have never seen a Barcelona chair done in anthibg but leather.

Is there a functional reason that they are not done in suede or other plush fabrics?

Mies V might have only approved of leather, but I am not trying to fool anyone here. The chair is a knock-off but its lovely, so I'd like to put my own twist on it.

Also, my upholsterer has shown me some samples of newer "recycled" leather which look and feel quite nice at a fraction of the cost of a hide.

Thanks,

Shadey

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bobismyuncle

The "recycled" leather, if it's what I'm thinking of, is called bi-cast or by-cast. It's to hide leather what particle board is to lumber. I've heard mixed stories about its durability, so maybe there are different levels of quality.

Bookmark   February 17, 2011 at 4:48PM
More Discussions
Horchow new chairs
Anybody knows the manufacturer of these chairs? Where...
inna0410
Lee Industries Sofa--worst ever furniture
I can use everyone's assistance in helping me solve...
sf_treat
Furniture help
Hello My boyfriend and I just moved in and we really...
Penny Dimitrakaki
looking for Marge Carson Used Pieces
Hi there, I am looking to buy used Marge Carson Furniture. Kindly, Barb...
iluvcarats
Who Are Reputable Made In America/North American Furniture Companies?
I am looking for great-room/living room furniture for...
mothersnood
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™