Affordable contemporary fireplace

casolorzJuly 7, 2009

We are looking for a regular one sided fireplace and a 2 sided fireplace. We want both to look contemporary, and possibly have stones or glass instead of logs (not a requirement).

We have looked and looked but are struggling to find affordable fireplaces. Everything we look at is above 2500 or so. We are hoping to stick to 1500 and below for one and 2000 and below for the other (may just not be doable).

We are open to alternate fuels and vent free.

This is for new construction.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

--Carlos

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fandlil

The only vent free that would not have a bad effect on indoor air quality is electric. Otherwise, stay away from ventfree. The Consumer Reports website used to have a detailed explanation of why vent free is bad. Some building codes consider it a violation, especially in a sleeping room because of the safety hazard.

If you want real heat, and not just looks, consider a gas fired direct vent system. But they are costly. Also, the Obama administration is offering up to $8 thousand tax credit if you buy a fireplace that complies with certain energy specifications. I'm not sure of all the details, but they use either wood or "biomass" and are energy efficient and pollute very little. A tax credit is much better than a tax deduction, because it's subtracted from your actual final tax bill. So If you owe the IRS $20K, and you have a $8K credit, your net tax bill is $12K.

I imagine that fireplace dealers are aggressively promoting the units that qualify for the tax credit. They are worth looking into. Just make sure they don't jack up the prices and give you a smaller benefit from the credit.

Bookmark   July 7, 2009 at 2:57PM
More Discussions
Recommendations on Double Sided Direct Vent Gas fireplace!
Hello, I'm remodeling my home in California and want...
roadrunnerrita
See-through fireplace
Does anyone have any experience with the Lennox Montebello...
aswansonid
Lennox Montebello See Through?
Anyone have some first hand experience with this unit?...
niteshadepromises
Do I need a fireplace in Southern California
I am in the middle of renovations in my town home and...
LARemodel
Sponsored Products
Eangee Fortune Sea Blue Cocoa Leaves Tower Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Lustrous Three Fold Fireplace Screen with Handles - Satin Pewter
Signature Hardware
Old World Vintage Tool Set
$359.00 | FRONTGATE
Italian Tile Sconce
Classic Hostess
Igloo Fireplace by EcoSmart Fire
$3,790.00 | Lumens