Pilot light not lighting on gas fireplace

Beyond_RealityJuly 2, 2013

I hope someone on here can help me out. I bought a house and have a gas fireplace, I have no idea if it used to work as it was bank owned. It has a switch on the wall and underneath controls.

I cannot get the pilot light to light. The gas control knob is turned horizontal so I know that the gas line is on. If I hold down the pilot knob I can eventually smell gas. When I strike the ignitor button I do see a spark.

But no matter how long I hold it down or how many times I hit the button the pilot will not light. Anyone have any idea what it could be?

Thanks...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
inlandfireplace

Well, without seeing it I can only guess at some things.

1. have you tried a lighter at the pilot hood when you first push in on the pilot control knob to see if that works? (The pilot should be blue and strong, with no yellow tips) I say this because if it IS sparking, it could be that the electrode isnt in the correct position to properly ignite the gasses. Or your pilot supply line may not be tight at the bottom of the pilot assembly., causing a majority of the gas to come out below the pilot hood assembly. If it lights right up with a lighter at the pilot hood , then the ceramic ignitor just isnt throwing a long enough spark at the appropriate place on the pilot hood.

try that first, then we can troubleshoot more from there.

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 11:30PM
fandlil

In my limited experience, gas fireplaces can be very temperamental. It depends on the kind you have. the diagnostics for a sealed direct vent system would differ from one that has an open chimney.

Having said that, sometimes you need to clear the gas line before lighting the pilot. That means holding the gas line open for about 60 seconds, then try to light the pilot. If it still does not go on, contact the gas company. That should be a free service call, to check to make sure the gas pressure is right.

If that does not work, maybe you should have a chimney guy look at it and give you an opinion.

Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 10:48PM
inlandfireplace

Except... He said he smells gas. So no need to bleed it anymore. And direct vent, b vent, gas logs, whatever... It wouldn't matter. Gas ignition at the pilot, IS gas ignition at the pilot...And a "chimney guy" won't know where to find the gas valve, let alone the chimney half the time... Any questions, get a hold of me at my website inlandfireplace.com

James.

Bookmark   July 28, 2013 at 3:50AM
More Discussions
Recommendations on Double Sided Direct Vent Gas fireplace!
Hello, I'm remodeling my home in California and want...
roadrunnerrita
Xtrordinair Fireplace
We were directed to a local shop selling this product....
Lutha
Converting wood fireplace to gas fireplace
Help, I'm overwhelmed. Any link to a good site that...
nosoccermom
I need opinions on what to do with old fireplace
I have an old fireplace that needs a rehab badly. What...
jbryan21
Bodart & Gonay Optifire zero-clearance wood FP?
While browsing around shopping for a wood zero-clearance...
rosie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™