Vent Location

nodoughJuly 24, 2009

I recently moved into a house that has a fireplace in the basement. On the fireplace is an inspectors note that says 'do not use until vent is repaired'. I have no experience with fireplaces and am wondering 1) where is the vent and can I repair/replace it 2)if I can't do it how much will this cost? Sorry for the vague description of my problem but I am more than willing to provide further details if anyone can help. Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
haus_proud

If the note says the building inspector is on the staff in your town or city, you should try to contact him/her there for further guidance. Otherwise, I would hire a chimney sweep who has expertise in fireplaces and, when he comes over to clean your chimney, ask him to explain what needs to be done.

I you haver just moved into this house, it's a good idea to have the chimney cleaned before using it, so you won't be spending money needlessly.

Another issue concerns whether the fireplace is a prefab or custom built. If a prefab, the manufacturer's name and model # should be visible somewhere. With that info in hand, phone the customer service 800 # and ask for guidance.

Good luck.

Bookmark   July 25, 2009 at 2:53PM
More Discussions
best way to clean a brick hearth?
i have tried washing the brick, but it still looks...
bmmalone
Vermont stove
I have a resolute acclaim stove and the sealer around...
edtrac
Jotul Kennebec
Well today is day two with my new Jotul fireplace insert...
turningpoint
Harman accentra insert wood pellet stove
I'm having a problem with my auger. It won't feed my...
Kyle22
Gas Fire Place
I have a direct vent gas fireplace with a standing...
JakeBrey
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™