Does Cumaru blend with Natural Cherry Cabinetry?

novicehomebuilderJanuary 13, 2010

I am building a new home and love the rich look of Cumaru hardwood flooring. BUT...I also want to coordinate it with natural cherry kitchen cabinetry. I'm in a dilemma with the color coordination. Does it blend or am I better off going with a different hardwood? Over time the cherry will acquire more richness & depth. One other option I'm considering for flooring is a Select red birch (softer wood) but would prefer the hardiness of the Cumaru. Any opinions appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tracie.erin

I'm looking at Cumaru too. Note that the Cumaru will change too. I've seen both newer (grainy-er) and older (more uniform) samples. From the braziliandirect rep: "I will tell you that after the first 3-6 months the grainig will become finer and less noticible -the samples you recieved from us are fresh cut and have not yet oxidized."

I would definitely get samples of older versions of each element and compare them to see if you like the combination. A retailer might have an older cherry sample. There's also color variation amongst the floorboards - I was surprised that my two sample pieces were different colors.

Bookmark   January 14, 2010 at 10:44AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
melrose2233_hotmail_com

I have been trying to decide on hardwood flooring with medium tone cherry cabinets for our remodel. I love the variation of cumaru,but a sample I bought online was more uniform and I really didn't care for it. Now I am looking at lumber liquidators. Their sample in the store is much different than the photos of actual installs. I am confused!
Any suggestions?

Bookmark   July 31, 2011 at 9:10PM
More Discussions
Natural hickory...yes or no....pics inside
I got a sample box and put it out on over the carpet...I...
msekfe
Tile over fiberglass?
Long story short, we added some porches to our new...
Nick Anderson
I need help on how to get cat urine odor out of concrete?
We had a cat that was 24 years old and the last year...
lindadianne
LVT or Tile
I am trying to decide what to replace my carpet in...
hlariscy
Handscraped hardwood -- will it become dated?
So we are in the process of building a new home. We...
carsonheim
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™