Outdoor Fireplace Questions

sugarchaletJuly 30, 2008

Hi all, we just built a pergola in the back yard and want to add an outdoor fireplace at the back of the pergola. Can someone take a look at my plan and see if it sounds feasible?

First, I will build the frame with cinder blocks and mortar them together. I will line the firebox with firebrick using refractory cement. And finally will use mortar and stone to finish the outside. Does this sound like an ok plan?

If you take a look at this website you can see the fireplace that I am trying to achieve, something very similiar to this...

http://www.wayraycontracting.com/images/upload/1159500921Fireplace%20outdoor%205.jpg

I just want to make sure that I don't make mistakes because I have never done anything like this before, it's all new to me. Is there anything I need to know about the dimensions of the firebox to be sure the smoke draws up right? Any other hints and tips you can tell me would be appreciated.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marta9919

Here is a great link to a blog that highlights outdoor fireplaces - Great photos for ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Outdoor fireplace Photos

Bookmark   August 25, 2008 at 10:48AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wodka

I couldn't open yours, but here's a photo of ours that we built when we built our home last year. Design was a combined effort of the homebuilder, landscaper and my husband. We have enjoyed the heck out of it and are looking forward to cooler nights (especially here in Mississippi!)

Bookmark   September 4, 2008 at 2:32PM
More Discussions
Can woodstove clog a chimney in a month??
We had a Quadrafire 5100 woodburning stove insert installed...
kitasei
Gas fireplace- fan or no fan?
Looking at a Mendota and a Heat N Glo full view single...
ryebread2111111
How can I update this 60s facade?
The home I'm buying was built in 1959 and I don't think...
demeterchaos
Recommendation on direct-vent gas fireplace?
Hi all, We are building a new home and plan to have...
kitchengirl
Do I need a fireplace in Southern California
I am in the middle of renovations in my town home and...
LARemodel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™