Smith Brothers of Berne furniture

Jjtbq1February 5, 2014

My comment is for those that want info about this company. I also wanted to inform the person, while they saw Broyhill and other brands there, it's common when trucks deliver regular materials to the company, other merchandise ordered to the area is added to the load for delivery also, if there is room on the trailer. A few years back I toured their facility and was very impressed with the quality of the workmanship. I saw every aspect of construction for both sofas and recliners, from the base to finished products. All the frames are solid hardwood then reinforced with metal joints. The padding is heavy and as durable as the fabrics used. The quality of the products obviously is reflected in their prices. Smith Brothers products I KNOW hold up for decades through routine ware and tear. I know this because a friend's living room sofa is from there. After years of use she was pleased enough with it, she had it reupholstered. Hope this information helps inform people.
I will agree with others that the only information available is from the company. Even when investigating consumer opinions one needs to determine whether or not advise is sound and reasonable too.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Holly- Kay

I love my Smith Brothers furniture. Not only is it lovely but meticulously crafted. I bought two arm chairs months ago for my library and also purchased two Hancock & Moore pieces. I love the SB as much as my H & M and I honestly think the quality is comparable at a lower price point. The quality of the upholstery is just absolutely first rate. I highly recommend SB and H & M.

Bookmark   February 8, 2014 at 5:58PM
chitownkat

I bought a chair and ottoman from Smith Brothers of Berne about 4 or 5 years ago. It is extremely well made furniture. I would consider buying my next couch from there. Plus, I think I got it in 2 or 3 weeks, custom made with my choice of fabric, contrast welting etc.

Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 3:51PM
LeslieP

Love my Smith Bros. furniture, after 6 years of heavy daily use, it still looks new. I would absolutely buy from them again.

Bookmark   February 12, 2014 at 8:58PM
patty_cakes

I had a Berne sofa 40 years ago. It was my first 'real' sofa, and I remember it being a thousand $$$, a lot of money years ago(even today!). With the spring type cushions, it lasted way too long, 20 years, but had even more years of wear in it. I wanted a different design, but should have had *it* redesigned/reupholstered.

Bookmark   February 18, 2014 at 8:44PM
freethinker99

Smith Brothers makes a quality product. I know quite a few retailers who swear by it. They have a 5/4 maple frame which is very good and a drop in coil spring unit. An 8 way hand tied unit is better but their drop in unit is fairly consistant. A drop in unit is a spring unit made outside the furniture and screwed into place. A drop in unit does not add to the torsional strength of the frame. Their tailoring is also good. All in all a pretty good choice from a price, value perspective.

Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 12:51PM
More Discussions
Tolix for outdoors?
Does anyone have experience using Tolix chairs outdoors?...
Chris 802
Furniture Arrangement Help Needed
There's my new great room from overhead. You can't...
bplevyak
Kitchen Table Repair
Hi. My kitchen table has a crack in it and I was wondering...
marc83
Smith Brothers of Berne - experience with?
Apologies for the dual post - I'm sinking the other...
marys1000
Ethan Allen furniture... comments on quality
We're looking at Ethan Allen furniture. I know it was...
Mercymygft
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™