Our remodeled formerly brick fireplace
We finally finished our fireplace re-do.
We started with floor to ceiling brick, original to the family room, with rosy pinkish tones set against the terra cotta floor. Not too cool.
We removed the brick and the raised hearth because it was too large in a small room. Next we covered the masonary with a mastic compound. We extended the 3" bumpout in front of the firebox to the entire width between the windows framing the fireplace. We put wallboard above the masonary line and painted the wall. We laid a soapstone slab for a hearthplate. When we installed the fireplace tile, we extended it across to the windows, rather than leaving exposed wall on either side as it was originally.
We installed gas logs, but we have not yet taken the time to solve the soot problem with them. Another day!
To see the fireplace progress. click on the link, then page to the right to see the changes within the album.
Here is a link that might be useful: Fireplace in transition