Floor stain color help please- coffee brown?

MrsBradJanuary 5, 2014

We are getting our oak floors refinished and stained this week. I am leaning toward duraseal coffee brown. I am looking for a medium/ dark rich brown stain with no red undertones. I would love for the wood grain to show through. I know I don't want super dark like ebony. My floor contractor suggested provincial, said its a popular option, but I think it's lighter than I want. I haven't had a chance to test out each color on the floor yet. I'm hoping to do that tomorrow. I would really love to see some pictures and hear experiences from those of you who have gone through this process. Has anyone used coffee brown? We plan on using a satin finish.

This is a photo with floors I love:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gregmills_gw

The photo has some natural reds in it. Coffee brown will be darker than that. And with that dark of a color i highly suggest water popping. Dark stains can be difficult to stain. It takes a good pro to get it correct.

Wish you luck.

Bookmark   January 6, 2014 at 5:27PM
MrsBrad

Thanks for the info Greg!

Bookmark   January 7, 2014 at 8:23AM
jfcwood

As long as you don't mind the graininess (on Oak), Coffee Brown is great. We use it to get a dark color for people avoiding red tones. As gregmills pointed out, your floor finisher could water pop the floor before staining. This would darken the hard grain giving you a darker color overall and a less grainy appearance.

Bookmark   January 7, 2014 at 1:25PM
glad2b

We just had wood flooring put in last spring and I chose the coffee stain. I love it so much that it isn't even healthy! I will try to post a picture for you tomorrow. We chose rift and quartersawn white oak, and it is gorgeous. I usually find something to be critical about when I buy/install something in my house, but this time I have no regrets AT ALL. We had the flooring company do the water pop to show the grain more, and it's perfect. And believe me, I never, ever say anything is perfect. :)

Victoria

Bookmark   January 9, 2014 at 12:48AM
MrsBrad

Victoria, I am so excited to hear this! I have decided to go with the coffee brown and I'm eagerly anticipating the floors getting done. They are all sanded. Just waiting on stain. I would LOVE to see a picture of yours!

Bookmark   January 9, 2014 at 6:52AM
glad2b

I know it's too late to help you, I'm sorry I didn't get this sent earlier! Snow storms had our schedules all changed, and I couldn't post until now. Here is an extremely close-up picture of ours. I think the ipad flash adds a red tone, which is not there at all IRL. I hope you love your floors!

Victoria

Bookmark   January 10, 2014 at 11:39PM
glad2b

Mrs. Brad - how did your floors turn out?

Bookmark   January 14, 2014 at 4:21PM
MrsBrad

Glad2be: Thanks for checking back. I LOVE the floors! I appreciate your post and your pic. It reassured me of my decision and I am so happy with how they turned out. This picture does not do them justice, and they are actually a little darker than they appear in this photo. Thanks for everyone's input!

Bookmark   January 20, 2014 at 8:22PM
glad2b

Oh I'm so happy you love them! They look great - and I know exactly what you mean about pictures - it's almost impossible. I can see what they really look like by your wall. They are a perfect in between color, not too light and not too dark. Enjoy them!

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 8:04PM
More Discussions
Engineered hardwood floor help needed
We are going to be selling our home and currently are...
cinnamon01
Carpet on concrete..what is proper installation?
Want to install carpeting on cement slab foundation,...
slc2053
What to use on edging and stairs when stripping of old hardwood floor
We are in the process of stripping and refinishing...
candeelyn
Anyone used Coretec?
I have searched and searched, but I haven't seen any...
joygreenwald
cleaning hardwood floors & tile floors
What's best way to clean hardwood floors.... how can...
kat123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™