fireplace refacing

juneebugs63June 24, 2009

Our home was built in the 70's. We have a brick fireplace in the dining room that used to be the living room. (We've remodeled and it is now the dining/great room.) I have finally talked my husband into changing it. I want a whole new look: marble, tile whatever. My problems is the mantle is made out of the same bricks. There are 3 rows sticking out, with each row extending further than the last. I'm afraid that painting is not an option because of this. If that mantle is taken out, it's going to have to be patched in that area. I'm wondering what a reasonable cost would be to have a mason come and do all the work necessary, not including materials. Could any experienced masons give me an estimate? It's floor to ceiling and 76 inches wide.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ventupete

If you really want to change the look, you may not have to demolish anything. You might be able to build a new mantle that would cover it. Also, it's not hard to install stone tile directly over the rest of the brick facing. Can you post a picture? I might then be able to give you some specific pointers/advice. If you don't know how to post you could e-mail it to me.

Bookmark   June 24, 2009 at 8:37PM
More Discussions
Gas fireplace- fan or no fan?
Looking at a Mendota and a Heat N Glo full view single...
ryebread2111111
Vermont stove
I have a resolute acclaim stove and the sealer around...
edtrac
Help me decide on a fireplace unit for new build
We are doing a gas Heatilator unit. Is there much difference...
brodyt
Can woodstove clog a chimney in a month??
We had a Quadrafire 5100 woodburning stove insert installed...
kitasei
Non-angled corner fireplace?
How would you describe this fireplace? I've been trying...
fenix409
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™