What is this

FidelisJune 17, 2011


Below the stove-pipe collar and above the baffle

in my wood stove is a sliding metal plate.

There is nothing at all in my instruction manual

that shows or describes this plate.

My Guess is it's a bypass damper. If this is the case

how am I to open and close it with the stove pipe


Other than that i'm at a loss.

Your help would be appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I now know that the plate is a flame shield not a damper.
It's nice to know what it is but what does it do?
All I know is that it's supposed to be locked open so
that it doesn't move.
Getting information from some people is like pulling teeth.
Maybe someone here can explain it's function.

    Bookmark   June 20, 2011 at 12:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

What brand is the stove and how old is it?

    Bookmark   June 21, 2011 at 6:16AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Pacific Energy....1 year

    Bookmark   June 21, 2011 at 11:59AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Where did you buy it? Can't you get help from the stove shop where you got it?
If it's only a year old, shouldn't it still be under warranty?

    Bookmark   June 22, 2011 at 7:37AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Couple of questions about installing stone veneer
Little background - original lava rock fireplace was...
freestanding gas stove flaming out- vent problem?
I have a free standing direct vented gas stove vented...
Can woodstove clog a chimney in a month??
We had a Quadrafire 5100 woodburning stove insert installed...
Vermont stove
I have a resolute acclaim stove and the sealer around...
Does this old fireplace have options?
Hey everybody! My home was built in 1930 and originally...
Kristin Jennings
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™