Chimney Cover/Cap Copper or Stainless Steel?

f1668065June 5, 2013

Coastal area of South Florida; new copper flashing at base of chimney & at roof to wall connection in front of house.

It's my understanding that copper should function best in coastal areas but will look ugly green sooner rather than later...and possibly lead to green water runoff.

I'm looking for function over beauty (just don't want it look bad or clash with copper flashing, which I'm seeking opinions on in Paint forum, whether or not to paint) in a cover/cap similar to the one in the pic along with a full chase cover plus 3" drip edge on bottom. FWIW: The damper works fine & closes inside the house.

That said, copper or stainless steel?

This post was edited by f1668065 on Wed, Jun 5, 13 at 17:48

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
southerncanuck

Ugly is in the eye of the beholder. I definitely wouldn't paint, unless your willing to take regular trips up a ladder to repaint. The zinc from the copper can leachate and for the price I would choose stainless.

Bookmark   June 6, 2013 at 1:42AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
f1668065

Thanks!
Ugly is as ugly does ;) The only thing I'm considering painting is the flashing (posted in Paint forum) not the chimney cover/cap.

My only concern is how do you think it will look with a stainless chimney cap and copper flashing at both the bottom of the chimney & also along the roof to wall connection in front of house?

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 10:28AM
More Discussions
Gas fireplace- fan or no fan?
Looking at a Mendota and a Heat N Glo full view single...
ryebread2111111
Help me decide on a fireplace unit for new build
We are doing a gas Heatilator unit. Is there much difference...
brodyt
Xtrordinair Fireplace
We were directed to a local shop selling this product....
Lutha
do you recognize this stacked stone?
I would like to install stacked stone and found this...
rosebay
Converting wood fireplace to gas fireplace
Help, I'm overwhelmed. Any link to a good site that...
nosoccermom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™