Wall is hot

salbwilJune 23, 2014

Hi,
We have a declaration insert installed in an old heatilator type fireplace and this past winter I noticed that the wall above the fireplace was quite hot during burns. Is this normal ? We also have a great deal of cold air coming in between the stove and the hearth, almost a wind . Any suggestions here are most welcome and thank you.
Salbwil

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christopherh

I would have someone look at it before next winter. By hot, do you mean warm, or hot hot?

This may surprise some people but if the surrounding area gets too warm, over time the wood can dry out and a simple thing like a nail overheating can cause the wood to ignite.

The one thing that comes to my alleged mind is the insert rated for a zero clearance fireplace like the Heatilator?

Bookmark   June 25, 2014 at 6:33AM
salbwil

The heatilator is installed into brick like a regular fireplace and had a regular clay flue . But in the years since the house was built, the flue collapsed and we then decided to put in the stove with its own corrugated flue all the way to the top of the chimney. The thing that troubles me is the mason that built the fireplace and chimney had problems with other jobs he did ( obviously this came out years later) . Also, is there a way to keep the cold air from coming into the room from between the stove bottom and the hearth .
Salbwil

Bookmark   June 25, 2014 at 8:44PM
christopherh

Go to hearth.com

Those guys are experts in all things fireplace/stove related. Ask over there and you'll get the absolute facts.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hearth.com

Bookmark   June 27, 2014 at 6:27AM
More Discussions
replacing wood burning stove with wb fireplace, will it work?
Living room had a wood burning stove. There's a 6"...
petecon
Does this old fireplace have options?
Hey everybody! My home was built in 1930 and originally...
Kristin Jennings
freestanding gas stove flaming out- vent problem?
I have a free standing direct vented gas stove vented...
pooper
Do I need a fireplace in Southern California
I am in the middle of renovations in my town home and...
LARemodel
Couple of questions about installing stone veneer
Little background - original lava rock fireplace was...
rosebay
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™