Recommendations on masonry fireplaces?

gapeach01June 25, 2008

I posted this question earlier and got no takers so I am reposting under a more generic topic line. We wanted a full masonry fireplace in our new house. However, our GC said it is hard to find a mason that can build a proper masonry fireplace any more so he recommended using a Fire Rock unit. We have looked at their on line materials and they seem interesting. Given the wealth of knowledge we have gotten from this forum, I decided to poll here since they claim to have installed thousands of units coast to coast. However, I can not get anyone to respond that they have any knowledge of this company much less any experience with it.

Anyway, any insight, good, bad or indifferent would be appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ggailbo

It's interesting to see this question this morning because I'm building a retirement home in Vermont and am looking at putting in a masonry "heater"/fireplace. I was told by the mason that it will cost about $16K to build a small one for my 1000 sq. ft. home up there. He told me to look at www.mainewoodheat.com which I have done and they have links to other sites that offer these very efficient fireplaces.

Bookmark   June 27, 2008 at 8:52AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
honeysmomcooks

We had a masonry heater constructed in the center of our new construction home in Western Washington this past year. Obtained alot of educational information and subsequently hired mason from the Masonry Heater's Association website. Very informative, ended up with a seasoned, reliable, exemplary mason who did a wonderful job! Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Masonry Heaters Association website

Bookmark   June 28, 2008 at 2:47PM
More Discussions
help please ! saw a picture, how can this be made?
Can anyone help me figure out these dimensions and...
abick2
do you recognize this stacked stone?
I would like to install stacked stone and found this...
rosebay
Lennox Montebello See Through?
Anyone have some first hand experience with this unit?...
niteshadepromises
HeatnGlo Mezzo 48 or Napolean Linear LHD50
Please help guide me! We are building a new home and...
supcar1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™