Surround around fireplace opening

maxdelJune 30, 2008

I am in the process of removing the 1980s fireplace surround that goea all the way to the ceiling. It is slow going but I hope to be done by next weekend.

Above the mantel I am planning on having just drywall but what should I have under the tile that is to around immediately around the opening? I don't know what burns and what does not; so what do you suggest?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
haus_proud

You are right to be concerned about putting something combustible too close to the firebox. That would be a fire hazard. You can use brick, tile, metal (black cast iron is a good idea because it goes with so many styles.)

I would Google fireplace surround or mantel. You'll get a whole lot of websites and interesting ideas.

At some point,it might be a good idea to have a chimney expert look at your project to make sure you have planned the right clearances between the firebox and combustible surfaces. If you haven't had your chimney cleaned, I would hire a chimney sweep who can give you that kind of advice.

Bookmark   June 30, 2008 at 3:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maxdel

The fireplace has not been used so it has not been cleaned. I have most of the equipment for it but havenÂt hard the time and it is not a priority. This is mostly a cosmetic change but one that I don't want to cause problems in the future. We have to redo almost the entire house on a limited budget so I can't hire a contractor for everything.

I am in the process of pulling the brick off the fireplace. I would like to put tile around the firebox but should it adhere to? I would expect particle board, plywood or drywall to be bad choices which is why I asked.

Bookmark   July 1, 2008 at 8:28AM
More Discussions
Gas fireplace- fan or no fan?
Looking at a Mendota and a Heat N Glo full view single...
ryebread2111111
1st timer needs pellet stove guidence
The wife and I just bought a new single floor 1800...
bksinaz
Recommendation on direct-vent gas fireplace?
Hi all, We are building a new home and plan to have...
kitchengirl
Vermont stove
I have a resolute acclaim stove and the sealer around...
edtrac
freestanding gas stove flaming out- vent problem?
I have a free standing direct vented gas stove vented...
pooper
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™