remove 1st fl fireplace when 2nd fl shares chimney?

sonneblumenJune 24, 2010

Interested in putting an offer on a home, but it has an odd family room on the first floor that I would like to turn into a bedroom. The caveat is that this room contains a gigantic fireplace that shares a chimney with a fireplace which is on the second floor. What I'd like to do is entirely remove the fireplace on the 1st floor, but keep the one on the second floor and possibly add a woodstove or gas insert (ie. it could be in use someday).

All you experts out there: is this possible? If so, how? Also, is this something I can do myself, or would this be best left to professionals?

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jessicabrylan

Cover the fireplace? Are you sure? Well, you could hide it or cover it over in a way that isn't permanent. Close the vent and try some design techniques that make the fireplace seemingly disappear. But without knowing your skill level, I'm not sure you want to try to get rid of the first floor fireplace yourself. If you really want to get completely rid of the fireplace, you'll have to look at how the fireplace ties into the structure of the home and then figure out how separate it from the second floor fireplace. I'm sure it would be quite a project, but get a hold of a contractor and ask for an initial consultation about it just so you can hear for yourself how difficult it might be.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ventless Gel Fireplace

Bookmark   June 26, 2010 at 9:22AM
More Discussions
Fireplace Options?
Looking to put a wood burning fireplace in our new...
rmverb
something stinks in here!
I built a fire in out basement fireplace last week,...
congaman59
Xtrordinair Fireplace
We were directed to a local shop selling this product....
Lutha
do you recognize this stacked stone?
I would like to install stacked stone and found this...
rosebay
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™