Dining table size....

vivian31February 21, 2013

I need some advice about dining tables, dining room setup, etc.

First, I'll tell you what I have. We have a high-ceilinged, gothic-revival style Victorian house. The dining room in particular is unusual because it has SEVEN doorways with every wall having at least one, and we use them all several times a day. Its size is about 15 x 15 with a small alcove where I put my china cabinet.

Well here:

The chandelier is staying as are the checkerboard tile floors and it's already been painted a very gray-violet color. There's 36-inch tall white wainscoting too. What I really need help with is dining table.

I love the round table, and the one we have currently is 54 inches. Comfortably, it seats 6, but we will crowd 8-10 with smaller chairs most Sunday nights.

Which brings me to Sunday nights. It's our family/friends dinner night and we normally will have 10-12 people and this setup just isn't working for us. Our numbers can go up too. At 14, we had to totally take out this table and set up 2 banquet-sized folding tables side-by-side.

Anyway, what I really need is a table that will seat 10-12 not necessarily comfortably, but adequately. LOL I'd love to keep a round table, but have no idea as to what size I would need. I think that maybe an 84-inch round would be adequate and with smaller chairs and I THINK I would have adequate clearance around. I just don't know....

What do y'all think? Is there some kind of formula? Should I dump the idea of a round? GAH. This is hard! LOL

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rmanbike

Not sure of your budget but a Jupe table is one option.

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 5:51PM
vivian31

Yeah, those tables are feats of engineering and would be extremely practical, but unfortunately out of budget. :)

I would accept a donation, however. LOL

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 7:40AM
freethinker99

Why not get a round table with two leaves for company.

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 8:37PM
More Discussions
Furniture Arrangement Help Needed
There's my new great room from overhead. You can't...
bplevyak
Tolix for outdoors?
Does anyone have experience using Tolix chairs outdoors?...
Chris 802
Ethan Allen furniture... comments on quality
We're looking at Ethan Allen furniture. I know it was...
Mercymygft
Lee Industries Sofa--worst ever furniture
I can use everyone's assistance in helping me solve...
sf_treat
Taylor King sofas ??
We have found a couple Taylor King sofas that we really...
fleurdelis05
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™