tiling over painted brick fireplace

craigyMay 17, 2008

I have a gloss painted brick wall surrounding a fireplace which I would like to tile over - maybe with slate or ceramic tiles. Do I need to cover the brick first to make a surface? Any advice would be appreciated - never done tiling before!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ventupete

You can put ceramic or stone tiles directly over your painted brick provided that you rough up the gloss paint finish a bit with some sandpaper and you use a fortified thinset mortar (don't buy the pre-mixed kind) to adhere the tile to the brick. I suggest you buy a cheap tile saw (they have a $100 model at HD that looks like a small table saw that will do what you need for this). If you've never done tile before, you should read up on it a bit, but it's not that hard if you are patient.

Bookmark   May 23, 2008 at 3:04PM
bill_g_web

I did the same thing in my house - I spent a little time getting about 50% of the paint off and the other 50% roughed up, as ventupete says. I'm sure I didn't need to remove any paint but went halfway due to conflicting advice on various Internet forums. Also, I built a new surround and mantle, sized so as not to have to cut any tiles. A friend did his using construction adhesive and it turned out surprisingly well. How he got the tile surface flat I don't know - must have begun with a very flat brick surface.

Bookmark   May 30, 2008 at 4:37PM
ventupete

Getting the tile surface flat is relatively easy. The key is to trowel a layer of the thinset mortar over the brick surface which fills in the mortar joints and smooths out any irregularities in the brick surface.

Bookmark   May 30, 2008 at 5:39PM
More Discussions
Vermont stove
I have a resolute acclaim stove and the sealer around...
edtrac
Gas fireplace- fan or no fan?
Looking at a Mendota and a Heat N Glo full view single...
ryebread2111111
1st timer needs pellet stove guidence
The wife and I just bought a new single floor 1800...
bksinaz
Do I need a fireplace in Southern California
I am in the middle of renovations in my town home and...
LARemodel
Gas fireplace that looks real in new build
Yes I know everyone want their gas logs to look real....
asyrp43
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™