Fireplace needs to be updated- Keep red or paint?

ksquiresMay 15, 2013

Hi everyone,

We are in the process of updating our den, including our fireplace. I just ordered a custom mantel shelf. We are prob going to paint the shelf white. I am debating on if I should leave the fireplace bricks red or try Brick ANew. I am def going to paint the brass. Please share your opinions! Any of your pics would be helpful also! Thanks so much!

Have a good night! :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
berlin

Remove the brass doors entirely, get a nice set of andirons or a nice grate install a nice mantel or surround, and don't paint the brick.

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 2:50PM
ksquires

Thanks Berlin! We actually painted the brass last week black...but I didnt even think about removing it completely. I ordered a custom mantel that will arrive next week. My husband does not want to paint the brick either- I just think it looks "dated". Thanks again!

Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 12:56PM
tinan

Re-grouting the brick in a lighter gray would lighten the feel and make it look cleaner. The current grout/mortar looks well inset leaving you lots of room for new grout, grouting closer to the brick surface will make it look smoother and less of a light sink in the room.

You can also whitewash brick to lighten the color but not change its character, see link

Here is a link that might be useful: whitewash brick

This post was edited by tinan on Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 18:38

Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 6:33PM
gasguy

Just a quick tip, I mount mantles daily and if yours has a hollow back mount a appropriate length 2 by 4 or 2 by 6 with tap con screws at 62 to 65 inches from floor level then mount the shelve to the 2 by with 3 inch finish nails, you will have the strength and the looks. Good luck. Ps I hope he pained the brass with rust oleum high temp grill paint otherwise it will peel from heat.

Bookmark   June 6, 2013 at 6:05PM
christopherh

If you remove the doors you are going to make the fireplace a heat loser. It will suck the heat out of the room and up the chimney.

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 8:13AM
More Discussions
freestanding gas stove flaming out- vent problem?
I have a free standing direct vented gas stove vented...
pooper
Jotul Kennebec
Well today is day two with my new Jotul fireplace insert...
turningpoint
best way to clean a brick hearth?
i have tried washing the brick, but it still looks...
bmmalone
Do I need a fireplace in Southern California
I am in the middle of renovations in my town home and...
LARemodel
Linear Fireplace
Can I put a 60 inch linear fireplace in place of this...
kjez2010
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™