Animal Farm

bunnymanMarch 11, 2008

Now more then ever people around the world need to read Orwell's Animal Farm. See if you can't hear a few oinks next time the Federal Reserve comes up with a "plan".

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joyfulguy

Oink ...

oink.

Is that like ...

... printing money?

I hear that the U.S. is doing some of that, these days.

That's inflationary, isn't it?

o j

Bookmark   March 11, 2008 at 11:42PM
herus

Besides 'Animal Farm', Mr. Orwell also wrote this little story called 'Nineteen Eighty-Four', as you know. Equally brilliant (some say more so) and just as prescient of today's political climate.

"War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strength"

Is there such a thing as a posthumous Nobel Prize?

Bookmark   March 12, 2008 at 9:22AM
bunnyman

Oh... here we have in the news the bail out of Bear Sterns investment bank. They made a pile of money on mortgage securities and now the tax payers have to pick up the mess after the money is gone. No problem because I gots lots of extra money I was saving to donate to the taxman.

After Animal Farm I could never finish reading 1984.

Bookmark   March 16, 2008 at 11:21AM
chelone

I am repeatedly amazed at the gullibility of the American taxpayer... there seems to be a naive belief that the elected people will always do their level best for their consituents and many of them DO.

But as a taxpayer, one voice in the chorus that makes up our government, I have always understood that I have to make my voice heard repeatedly, ESPECIALLY in between elections.

A government that spies on its citizens in the name of security frightens me. A war that was supposed to be finished in just over a year but drags on expensively doesn't surprise me. A "free" press that asks no TOUGH questions about policy appalls me, esp. when they broadcast on PUBLIC airwaves for the benefit of the populace.

Mr. Orwell was years ahead of his time, IMO.

Bookmark   March 16, 2008 at 11:47AM
dreamgarden

"They made a pile of money on mortgage securities and now the tax payers have to pick up the mess after the money is gone."

Thats what it boils down to. Investment banks made decisions that led the country into recession and now THEY want a handout? Yeah right (not).

Businessweek had a cover story "Recession Time" by Peter Coy (March 13) that said as much.

"GAMBLERS, LIARS, AND SLEAZY LENDERS"

The airwaves and blogosphere are alive with people who say nothing should be done. They argue that intervening now would only delay the inevitable liquidation of credit-fueled excesses. "Under proposed bailouts, responsible people lose and have to give their money to gamblers, liars, and sleazy lenders," says the widely followed Patrick.net housing blog.

I tried to post the link, but got the following message from GW. So if you want to read the story, just google the title and author.

" That Home Site!

Spam Alert:

In order to fight spam, we need your cooperation!

Unfortunately, we have been the victims of spam attacks (the posting of ads) promoting this site or business (NON-ALLOWED LINK) and they are now blocked completely to prevent a recurrence.

Please do not mention them in our forums or elsewhere at this site.

Any attempt at circumventing this block by using our site to refer others to this business will be interpreted as an attempt to further spam our site and you will be permanently banned from using our services.That Home Site!

We appreciate your cooperation in keeping messages ad-free!"

Bookmark   March 16, 2008 at 1:54PM
chelone

Who now owns this website?

Bookmark   March 16, 2008 at 3:23PM
More Discussions
Investing for your Future
I'm wondering if most people today hire financial planners...
cmarlin20
Buying a car
I am planning to buy a car, but my credit rating is...
HerscheLL
What is the fair ratio?
The living expense is paid between the couple (Husband...
azmom
Garrett Financial Network
Does anyone have experience with Garrett Financial...
sushipup1
Experience as a 1-car couple?
We moved into a new home (my first real house with...
ayimera
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™