how much is used furniture worth?

charitydeyonFebruary 8, 2007

Hi there, I have a weird question. My sister-in-law has let my husband and I use some of her furniture for a year because of their lack of space, and now she's asking if we'd like to buy it. It's a microsuede couch and love seat, a simple coffee table and 2 end tables in descent shape that have a cherry finish.

It's all in good shape, but is probably 3-4 years old.

I know furniture doesn't re-sale well, and I don't want to get ripped off, but I don't know the brand names, although I have to assume they are mid to low end brands if bought in this town. :-)

Thanx for your help!

Charity

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steve_o

Why don't you let your SiL name a figure she'd like to see and you negotiate from there? Certainly some pieces (famous designer, rare woods, etc.) command higher prices (though these don't sound like those); you also have to factor in not having living room furniture and the (relative) hassle of buying some to replace it. I'd put it in your SiL's court: have her research an appropriate price, propose it, and see if you are willing to go for it.

Bookmark   February 8, 2007 at 8:45AM
mes444

Try to find some similar pieces wherever she bought it or at least a store of the same quality items. Then add it all up and offer not more than 30% of the new prices. Take a look at craigslist.org for your city and you will see prices people are asking for used furniture. I think 30% would be on the high end.

Bookmark   February 8, 2007 at 11:36AM
jyyanks

I have to say furniture is not worth much unless its hard to find, antique or a very high-end brand. My DH's grandmother moved to Florida and we had to get rid of all her furniture. The furniture was in good condition and decent brands (broyhill, kushman colonial creations, ethan allen) etc. After advertising on Craiglist, it was virtually impossible to sell for more than $100-$200 b/c it's such a pain to transport furniture. Many people who are looking for furniture bargains feel its not worth the hassle, especially when you can go to a inexpensive store, pay a couple of hundred dollars more and get the furniture delivered.

My FIL made a custom 3 piece entertainment unit in solid hardwood- it's beautiful but big for our house. He sold it for $75 b/c it was too big to transport. I guess my point is that I would try not to overpay but still give her a fair price. Chances are if you don't buy it, she won't be able to sell it for much. Good Luck.

Bookmark   February 8, 2007 at 9:40PM
More Discussions
Lexington chez michelle Bedroom Set - 7 piece
Hi, i am purchasing a used 7-piece Lexington chez michelle...
kathietang
Upholstery Fabric Durability
I am about to purchase a Lee Industries couch and two...
3kidsonedogandus
Slats or Boxspring?
Like the title says: Slats or Boxspring to support...
pbx2
Can you help me identify this furniture maker/designer?
I acquired this mid-century table and chairs. Looks...
Julie Fortier
Recommendation for high-end modern Asian furniture?
Aside from Berkeley Mills in Berkeley, CA, does anyone...
Cam Chan
Sponsored Products
Tom Dixon | Copper Shade Floor Lamp
YLiving.com
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Hampton Dark Grey/Light Blue 4
$96.97 | Home Depot
Eastwood Chair - Cordova Picante Orange
Joybird Furniture
WW 3528 LED Strip Light 60/m 8mm wide 5m Reel
EnvironmentalLights.com
Primo Prism Gold Thirty-Two Light 36-Inch Chandelier with Royal Cut Clear Crysta
Bellacor
Vetericyn Canine Ear Rinse Dog Ear Care - 006VET-1024
$24.99 | Hayneedle
SLV Lighting | Vap Slim 30 Outdoor Bollard
$156.00 | YLighting
Liberty Furniture Laurel Creek Panel Bed & Dresser & Mirror & Chest in Cinnamon
Beyond Stores
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™